Deborah and The Team:
Deborah Josh Greg Katrina Isabella
I am Deborah Hicks Midanek Bailey, a native New Yorker, spending my life on the road as a turnaround manager – striving to transform problems into solutions, disorder into structure, and desperation into opportunity. Often I am merely holding up a mirror, helping the parties I work with to see more clearly given my detached view as the compassionate outsider.
Eight years ago I moved to Grenada, Mississippi to marry a local man– a cotton farmer. (My professional colleagues insist I went to Morgan Stanley or Microsoft – I could not have meant THAT MS.) Since then I have built a fascinating portfolio of projects, and met a variety of inspirating people. Much in Grenada seems exotic and charming to me, and I marvel daily at the prevailing sense of humor, the neighborliness, the ingenuity, as well as the grind of poverty and both the blindness and the creativity it often engenders.
We have much to celebrate here, and what we have is real, home grown, and delightfully authentic. It is also utterly invisible to many local folk, as fish cannot see wateCome see, peek at our trailer, and help us hold up that magic mirror. We have shot most of the footage, but need help paying for the editing and creation of finished segments with music
"Grenada just feels like home", Katrina and Isabella Kinder
Our story is one of hope and resurrection, as we rebuild Grenada's downtown and its understanding of itself. We want to let the light shine in! We hope our films will be inspiring to the people of Grenada, and to people everywhere as they see the joys and challenges of local life in a small Mississippi town.
It is a big project, and we need help. And will be delighted to share the fun with you.
What We Need & What You Get
Here are the details:
• We need $6,000.00 to pay for editing the next segment, and acquiring music rights.
• Every dollar you give is tax deductible as you are donating to Prevail Fund, a tax exempt organization.
Here are some of the perks we offer:
• Everyone who gives $25 or more will have their name listed on a plaque to appear on the wall of the first new restaurant to open on the Grenada Square.
• Give $50 and receive the above offer, plus a GFP Limited Edition Poster.
• Give $100 and receive all the above, plus your own autographed DVD of the segments at launch date.
• Give $250 and receive a password to view bonus footage: The GFP Outtakes (be careful what you wish for).
• Give $500 and receive all of the above, plus a producer credit.
• Give $750 and the Kinder sisters of Diamond Back Productions will create a segment featuring you and your reasons for giving and loving our project, for inclusion as part of the GFP series.
• Give $1000 and receive all of the above, plus a guided tour of Grenada including breakfast at the famed Biscuit Pit.
• We’re still dreaming up ways to include our donors in the project. We welcome your suggestions!
Always entertaining, always networking, Deborah brought two wildly creative people to Grenada, and they discovered wonder. Amazed by the food, much of the best only available in gas stations; the folks, gracious, funny, self-deprecating to a fault; the music, a constant but often ignored undercurrent in Grenada, cradle of much music history; the kids in the prize winning schools and on the streets; the history, from Civil War to Civil Rights; the constant storytelling, some of it even true.
To Grenadians, what is everyday hum drum life is remarkable and unique and surprising and delightful to others. The team returned, determined to capture the magic on film. And we have made a great beginning.
Grenada's challenges are common to many rural communities, BUT
• Our stories, our music, our food, our history are ALL our own.
• GFP celebrates what Grenada is, what it was, and what it CAN be.
• Join the GFP production team: Deborah Bailey, incorrigible catalyst; the brothers Morton - Josh, LA veteran cinematographer, and Greg, foodie and music impresario from Massachusetts; and the sisters Kinder - Katrina and Isabella, young women of Grenada and prizewinning filmmakers.
• Take a peek at our trailer. Imagine how this project will transform this county's understanding of itself and its possibilities, and build bridges to a future that celebrates it all. Help us, and join the fun.
Other Ways You Can Help
Can’t contribute money right now? We'd love your help on this community project in other ways. Let your imagination run free!
• Help promote Grenada: Share the link, brag about GFP on Facebook, spread the word! Make some noise about the Grenada Film Project!
• Think about your friends and connections. Might one or more be tickled to help fund this showcase for Grenada County? Let us know, or recruit them yourself.
• Have a Grenada topic that needs to be filmed? Send it to Deborah or Katrina.