The GradTrain story: why make your own mistakes when you can learn from others?
We are five friends from five different countries, who went through the journey of studying in another country. Studying abroad changed our lives. Not only did it help kick off our careers, but it is now also an undeniable part of our identity. We want other people to be able to do the same.
For years we have been approached by friends, friends of friends, and even people loosely connected (or not) to our network. They sought advice on how to find and get into graduate school abroad. We have also heard many stories of people who missed their opportunity to obtain a graduate degree abroad. We ourselves witnessed the challenges of finding information and choosing programs abroad, and decided to create a solution. We decided to be the solution. That is what GradTrain is all about.
GradTrain is the first international web platform designed for people who want to attend graduate school abroad. GradTrain provides guidance from people who are what you want to be in a few years. People who understand your background, language and culture, and really care about your success.
GradTrain revolutionizes the international application process
To find out what people need, we ran a survey among hundreds of current and past international graduate students from more than 50 countries. Based on this survey, we are building an online platform that will:
- Connect prospective students with coaches who share a similar background to theirs, who have been through the process and can guide them to fulfill their potential.
- Provide sophisticated algorithm-based decision making tools that will help people make decisions based on data, and not on gut feelings.
- Revolutionize international education, by minimizing information gaps, and allowing all students to fulfill their potential.
- GradTrain is currently running a private beta for hand-selected coaches (under 100 coaches from diverse fields and nationalities).
- Throughout September we will open up the platform to a broader audience of coaches, who we will be vetted and certified (interested coaches can register at: www.gradtrain.com).
- In October, the peak of the university application season, we will open the platform for applicants to book coaching sessions.
- Following that, we will launch algorithm-based decision-making tools that we have lined up, such as an acceptance-predictor and an application scheduler.
Why contribute to GradTrain on this page?
1. I am a past, present, or future international student (or a parent of one). I want GradTrain to happen so I can be a coach or use the service myself.
2.I'm not an international student but I want to help one. This page makes it so easy to help!
3. I really care about global education. I want to put my money where my mouth is.
4. GradTrain is the next big thing. I sense it, and I want to be able to say that I gave the seed money for it.
5. I love the idea of social impact startups. Companies that care about their social impact and not only about their bank account is a refreshing concept I want to encourage.
6. I believe through international study we bring talent into this country, and GradTrain is a great way to enable talent get here.
7. I was deeply impressed by the idea and your hard work, and want to help you fulfill this dream.
What we need and what we will do with your contribution
If we meet our goal, with your generous help, we will be able to:
- Enhance our prediction algorithms for school acceptance and cover more fields of study
- Fund the GradTrain scholarship program for students who cannot afford the full cost of studying abroad
Our perks are designed to make you a part of this initiative and to connect you with the stories of real students. Your support will allow us to help students in their journey for international education!
If we exceed our goal, we will be able to do a lot more and provide tailored guidance for additional fields of study and additional geographies around the globe, as well as provide additional scholarships for students at need. We will also be able to build more specialized tools to meet the needs of international students.
The Social Impact
Our goal is to transform the field of international education. We believe that enabling more people to study abroad is the key to solving many global challenges. There are too many barriers in the face of a person who wants to study abroad, and GradTrain will remove many of them and make the process much less of a guessing game.
Studying abroad opens people’s minds and exposes them to new cultures. Being a foreigner is a humbling experience that makes people understand more about minorities in their own country. If we can empower more people to fulfill their goal of studying abroad, the world will be a better place with more acceptance of differences and better understanding of others across the globe. It will enable a cross-pollination of ideas and innovation that will be better distributed worldwide.
GradTrain is a social impact for-profit venture, and we will measure our success not only by the company’s bottom line, but also by the social impact we are able to achieve. Our services will be affordable and we will dedicate a portion of our earnings to scholarships for students at need.
Other Ways You Can Help
Even if you can't contribute you can still help!
- Get the word out and make some noise about our campaign. Go to www.gradtrain.com and share the GradTrain love!
- Share the Indiegogo campaign using the link at the top of this page (below the video)! Here it is again just in case: http://igg.me/at/gradtrain
- Share the campaign offline via our QR code. Print it out, add your personal endorsement and hang it up - at your University, in your building, in the subway - anywhere you go!
Contribute to our campaign and share it with your networks - you will have our eternal gratitude for making this happen and helping ambitious and intelligent people from across the globe fulfill their dreams and aspirations through studying abroad.
Together - we can make a real positive impact for generations to come!
The GradTrain team
We would not have been able to launch this campaign without the help of dear and important friends who helped us with sharing their own personal stories, helped us fine-tune the message, and supported us along the way. Special thanks to Moshe Laniado Peleg, Hadas Ben Sasson, Jette Lundgren, Menachem Katz, Klara Stefflova, Natalia Urrea, Sarvenaz Bakhtiar, Claire Chen, Gillian Albert, Mei-Tal Nadler, Ophir Bar Zohar, Sanjeev K. Mahto, Ayanna Samuels, Luo Jing, Akiva Miller, Alana Shultz, Brian Batts, Noa Reindel, Hagit Stauber, Tzvika Avnery, Ori Harel, Katie Klein, Christian Fink, Osnat Stimatzky, Larry Price, Barak Bard, Tom Dow, Assaf B. Spanier, Yossi Goldman, Ilana Nesher, Arik Marmorstein, Amir Hirshfeld, and Chris Wong. We would not be able to get to this point without you, and appreciate your continued support very much!
GradTrain in the media:
Black Tie International Magazine: Startup aims to revolutionize university application process globally
Jerusalem Post: Hop on the GradTrain, next stop a far-off campus
Alex's Tech Thoughts: GradTrain