Violence against women - particularly sexual violence – is a major public health problem and a violation of women's human rights. Depicting this kind of violence as a form of entertainment is a common trope in film and television. While rarely needed to advance the plot, violent scenes, often depicting rape, are nonetheless relied upon and are typically shot in a way that depicts the violence as titillating or exciting. In short, violence against women has become an acceptable form of entertainment.
A new coalition called Lights, Camera, FemAction is seeking to achieve lasting change. To do so, we believe it is important to address discrimination against women, promote gender equality, and help move towards more nonviolent cultural norms. Our mission is to cultivate a community that will engage, educate, and empower consumers to demand a different kind of movie-going experience.
Utilizing an app, blog, social media, and direct advocacy we will focus on three things:
1. Educate the viewing audience about the impact of depicting violence against women as a form of entertainment.
2. Collect data about which films/shows are depicting violence against women via the “Get Reel” app that will allow viewers to self-report when they have seen it.
3. Demand change through direct advocacy with filmmakers, screenwriters, producers, and film festival executives/screeners.
We’ve launched an IndieGoGo campaign to generate the initial funding for our project. It begins with a mobile app called “Get Reel”, but it will grow into a social movement. Get informed. Get empowered. “Get Reel.”
The “Get Reel” Project
With your help, we will produce the “Get Reel” App and corresponding website to track violence against women in film. Below are the phases of the project as we envision them unfolding with your support:
Phase 1: $50,000 IndieGoGo Campaign Goal
Raising the full $50K will enable us to:
● Build the “Get Reel” App, which includes a database of films that show violence against women.
○ Anyone can add to the database and it will be anonymous so film critics, festival reviewers, studio heads, crew members, writers, bloggers and average moviegoers can add to the list as they see violence against women in film.
● Build the Website.
Data-rich Apps and professionally designed Websites aren’t cheap. $50K will enable us to produce these elements professionally and offer the app for FREE.
Phase 2: $75,000 Total (1st Stretch Goal)
Raising $75K will enable us to accomplish all of the above, plus:
● Crunch the numbers and analyze the data much faster, which leads us to...
● Develop our first “Get Reel” call-to-action campaign using the data. This could mean a social media campaign, petition, press tour, direct advocacy with celebrities and Hollywood executives, and educational outreach. We’ll know our specific call-to-action when we see the data you help us collect!
● Develop the “Get Reel” media literacy curriculum, which we will give away for FREE to educators, parents, film students, media centers, etc.
Phase 3: $100,000 Total (2nd Stretch Goal)
Raising $100K Total will enable us to accomplish all of the above, plus:
● Produce and distribute our first “Get Reel” web video series, which we will give away for FREE on our website and make available through our YouTube channel.
● Design “Get Reel” merchandise and swag!
$150,000+ (3rd Stretch Goal)
Through your belief in the cause and your donations to make it a reality, if we exceed our 1st and 2nd stretch goals and raise $150K+, we will accomplish all of the above, plus:
● Produce and distribute our first “Get Reel” PSA campaign. We’re talking TV ads, mobile ads, you name. We want to take this to the masses!
● Provide “Get Reel” grants to filmmakers who show women in charge of their own lives and bodies. In short, we’ll help fund the types of films you want to see!