Asking for donations for a Caravan to Washington DC! We are leaving from Oakland, traveling across the United States, and stopping at selected cities. .
San Leandro, California
1 Team Member
The Inter Council for Mother of Murdered Children are seeking funds for a Caravan across the United States. Anita Will is the Administrator and Dionne Smith, is the Executive Director and Organizers of Get on the Bus. Dionne Smith is the mother of James Rivera Junior who was shot and killed by Stockton Police when he was 16 years old (in July of 2010). Anita Wills 19 year old Grandson was shot and killed in East Oakland California (in January of 2011). Both Women are Advocates and Community Activist seeking Justice for All of Children Murdered by Gun Violence. The Goal of this event is to raise awareness and give voice to those who have no voice; Mothers, Grandmothers, Great-Grandmothers Sisters, Aunts, Nieces, Cousins, the nurturers of those who are murdered. All are welcome to join us, as we will be stopping in selected cities across the US.
- Over the past decade, the number of African American men killed on the
streets of Oakland nearly matched the number who graduated from its
high schools ready to attend a state university. Running a close second are the number of Hispanic Males killed by police and on the streets. They are all some mothers son, some grandmothers son, the nephew, brother, cousin, and Uncle of someone. By and large the relative is a female as the epidemic of incarceration of minority males increases in the United States.
- To be more specific, in the past 10 years, 787 black men and boys in
the city have been a victim of a homicide (out of 1,197 total Oakland
homicides in that time). During the same stretch, only 802 young black
men graduated from high school meeting the requirements to attend a
California State University or University of California school. This is mirrored all across the country in whether in a Rural or Urban Area.
- Those odds are astounding, a tragedy that implicates nearly everyone
involved: the boys who've made bad decisions, their families, the school
system, the community, "this society," as one school official puts it,
which "is conditioned to be afraid of young black men."
- Our young men are targeted by Police, Criminals, and so-called Vigilantes like Johannes Mesherle (Oscar Grant), George Zimmerman (Trayvon Martin), and Michael Dunn (Jordan Davis). Although Dunn was found guilty of attempted murder he was not found guilty of killing the only person he killed, Jordan Davis. The Police are also targeting the Mentally ill of all races.
- "Blacks in the United States are disproportionately affected by
homicide from the Police and other Blacks. For the year 2009, blacks represented 13 percent of the
nation's population, yet accounted for 47 percent of all homicide
victims," the report stated.
- Funds collected will be used to pay for the Bus (including Insurance), Gas, Food, Hotel, and Advertising Expenses. We will be on the bus traveling to Washington DC 5 days there and 3 days back.
Your Contribution will mean a lot to the Families:
- We have mothers and family members planning to attend from several states and this campaign will help us get to Washington DC. We want America to know that our children are our most valued asset. We will demand that something be done to stop the slaughter of our children!
- Your contributions means that you are a part of the solution and that you stand with the families.
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean you can’t help:
- If you cannot contribute please get the word out about our campaign.
- You can also volunteer to assist us in volunteering your services.