UPDATE: Fat Yoga videos are available online thanks to our awesome backers. You can find them here!
"Fat Yoga has helped me rediscover and appreciate my body again. We get so many messages that our bodies are "wrong", it's nice to be able to celebrate how amazing our bodies really are, fat or not. Since starting classes, I've gotten so much stronger and more flexible. I love the physical exertion of the class (we do get sweaty!) and I love the challenge of learning and mastering new poses. I feel strong and centered, and I find that I move through my own life with more ease and peace." — April / High School Teacher
The Thing about Fat Yoga®
First and most obvious, Fat Yoga classes are tailored to people who may not be the stereotypical yoga student. While most of us identify as fat, it's certainly not a requirement for participation. You do NOT need to be a specific size to be welcome at Fat Yoga.
Poses are presented and modified to each individual's ability. The size of our thighs, arms, bellies, and butts all change the way we are capable of expressing the traditional asanas (poses). Fat Yoga honors and embraces our differences and strives to create an environment where all bodies can do all poses.
Fat Yoga has no objective or claim towards weight loss. Frankly, we are not interested in it. We focus on strength building, flexibility, balance, self-acceptance and peace of mind. There is much evidence of yoga's transformative powers. Through a committed yoga practice, we can embrace our relationship with our bodies and find joy in movement.
Fat Yoga currently holds ongoing classes through the week at our own location in Portland, Oregon. But we would like to reach out beyond Portland, which is why we want to produce these videos. We will be hosting the online classes on Vimeo so that everyone has access to Fat Yoga anywhere, at any time.
Having this video available we will be able to bring Fat Yoga to everyone- regardless of size- with an opportunity to enjoy the benefits of yoga. Yoga is an excellent transitional fitness option as well. Our yogis get a great workout complete with messy sweating and active breathing without feeling self-conscious. The poses and movements strengthen muscles, tendons & organs. Not to mention the numerous benefits for bone, joint and circulatory health. Fat Yoga also provides more intangible benefits such as increased confidence, better balance, and a general feeling of bad-assery.
The Video Project
The Fat Yoga videos will put you right into our All Levels Classes. Classes are structured so each person has autonomy over their own yoga practice. Focus is on breath, alignment and postures through the basic Sun Salutation poses. We'll develop an awareness of and connection to our body’s amazing capabilities. This type of practice fosters active lifestyles, by awaking & activating core strength. These classes bring the heat, working ourselves right up to a nice, glistening sheen, while still allowing space for a gentle practice. We will cover the whole body; shoulders, arms, chest, ribcage, hips and legs.
The videos will be presented in a series of 15 short videos that can be put together into a customizable yoga session. These videos will allow you to have variety in your workout day-to-day; almost like a choose-your-own adventure!
We have chosen a local video production company to make the the video for us (who made our awesome pitch video!), but we need you to help fund this project! We are a small studio, and can not front the money to pay the production company without your help.
We are asking for $9777 to fund this project. That money will be going to pay our production company and other production costs associated with making and hosting these videos online. AND your rewards! And did you see those awesome rewards?
If we don't reach our goal, we will still get the funds and they will go toward the project, we will just have to cut corners with production costs and scale back on the quantity of videos we can produce.
If we exceed our goal, we have stretch goals to produce even more videos and increase the production value of the videos. Closed Captioning is an option we would like to have available on our videos that will cost us a little extra. Plus, we would like to get a TV to mount in the studio so that we can share the videos in-studio.
What you can do
- Contribute to our project! Just contributing $1 will help us to our goal, and keep you apprised of our progress with backers-only updates!
- Share our project with your friends! Please use the share features below the video to get the word out.
Interested in multiple perks? Just submit separate contributions for each perk you are interested in. We will combine items for shipment when that time comes.
- Sun Salutations: Anna, founder of Fat Yoga®, will do a Sun Salutation in your honor. One Sun Salutation is tough, 10 can be a struggle, but lets see how many we can get Anna to do! We are planning to do all the honorary Sun Salutations in one marathon session, and we will film it for you all to see!
- Radical Self Love Poster: A poster to hang up in your room, office, anywhere you need a good reminder to love your body today. Glossy 11 x 17" print, folded in half for shipping. This is not the final poster, but it could be something like this:
- Honorary Membership Kit: You will receive a Fat Yoga logo sticker 3" square, a Fat Backer Fat Yoga bumper sticker, a Fat Yoga cloth patch, and a Radical Self Love Postcard (a mini version of the poster). Show your Fat Yoga love!
- Tank Top: This limited edition tank top is just for you, our backers! The tanks are unisex in style and size. The color of the tanks is beige with dark red ink on the front and the back. Available in generous sizes Small through 12X. Our tanks are made in the USA.
- Vimeo Video Access: You will receive a special code that you can use on Vimeo so that you get permenant access to the Fat Yoga video series without further payment. You will be required to sign-up for a free Vimeo account in order to redeem the promo code.
- Early Bird Whole Shebang Special: Limited to the first 25 Fat Backers! Get a whole bunch of awesome rewards for a great price! But act fast, supplies are limited! Includes the Vimeo video access, Tank Top, Membership Kit, Poster, and Anna will do a Sun Salutation in your honor.
- The Whole Shebang: Get a whole bunch of awesome rewards for a great price! Includes the Vimeo video access, Tank Top, Membership Kit, Poster, and Anna will do a Sun Salutation in your honor.
- Yoga Consultation: You will get your own personal, 90 minute yoga consultation with Anna, founder of Fat Yoga. If you are in the Portland, Oregon area it can be in person at the Fat Yoga studio. If you are elsewhere around the world this will be via Skype or other popular video call service. We will not be providing the technology assistance for you to be able to cooperate, so please be sure you are able to perform a video call on your own. Another option could be a phone call conversation consultation, but would obviously not be visual.
- Day with Anna: Lunch and an adventure around Portland, Oregon with Anna, founder of Fat Yoga. You will need to get yourself to Portland, but once you are here you will meet up with Anna for a Fatastic afternoon of fun! We will pay for your delicious, comfort food lunch (according on what you like to eat) and provide transportation around town for the afternoon during the adventure.
- Video Release Party (perk canceled for lack of interest)
Update March 21: if you are sponsoring perks that will need to be shipped internationally, it would be a big help to us if you would not mind adding an extra $10-15 to help cover international shipping costs. Thanks for the consideration! We wouldn't be able to do this without you awesome people.