Everest Base Camp Fundraiser for Urban Youth

I'm climbing to raise awareness for at-risk students who don't have access to outdoor adventure.
M78l3spkmehwvsbdjl2r
Michelle Welsch
998 Facebook Friends
Education
New York City, New York
United States
1 Team Member
This campaign is raising funds on behalf of Dusty Camel, a verified nonprofit. The campaign does not necessarily reflect the views of the nonprofit or have any formal association with it. All contributions are considered unrestricted gifts and can't be specified for any particular purpose.

Kids should be outside.

You may remember riding bikes with friends, going hiking with your parents, learning how to fish. At sunset, mom or dad would have to holler at you to come inside. You felt safe playing outside and had plenty of opportunities to do so.
 
Not every child is so fortunate.
 
Having worked in the South Bronx and within the justice system, I've seen firsthand that not everyone gets to experience the outdoors in the same way.

As a social worker in the South Bronx, I watched students pack into overcrowded gyms. Many didn't feel safe on their block, so their time in the gym was the extent of their physical activity for the week.

As a probation officer, I saw that treatment programs incorporating wilderness experiences were more effective than detention centers. These excursions deeply impacted the juveniles, and their experiences outside together were some of the most meaningful they had.
 
By encouraging schools to think creatively about learning, the Discover Outdoors Foundation organizes trips for at-risk students, enabling kids and teachers the ability to safely explore the outdoors. The foundation works closely with New York City area schools to provide educational adventures that are both relevant and informative. They've established partnerships with over twelve dozen NYC schools, and their reach continues to grow.

$9,000 + Mt. Everest's Base Camp + Awareness = Success

In a world where "Nature Deficit Disorder" is a reality, we need to do our part to make sure all kids have access to the outdoors. My goal is to raise $9,000 for the cause and climb Mount Everest's Base Camp in order to do so. 15% of my fundraising goal will help me get to Base Camp, and the remaining 85% will directly support the program to provide such things as:

Some of the most epic journeys are traveled with teams.

I've created some fun perks as we work together to foster outdoor education:

  • Your very own Everest Base Camp training plan
  • Handwritten letters from each day of my journey
  • A postcard sent from Kathmandu
  • An adventure with Discover Outdoors
  • The ability to experience Everest from your living room
  • A twitter thank you recognizing your fabulousness
  • Your story featured on Project Exponential's blog

Most kids have a handful of heroes who impact their lives. Thanks for becoming one.

Live in an urban area? Contact Discover Outdoors Foundation for volunteer opportunities.

Please share this campaign with colleagues, friends, outdoor enthusiasts and fellow adventurers.

$9,228USD
raised by 144 people in 2 months
103% funded
0 time left
Verified Nonprofit
$9,000 USD goal
Flexible Funding This campaign has ended and will receive all funds raised.
Campaign Closed
This campaign ended on August 6, 2013
Select a Perk
  • $5USD
    Twitter Thanks

    I (@redheadlefthand) will publicly tweet a thank you and brag about how fabulous you are.

    19 claimed
  • $25USD
    E-excursion

    You'll receive emailed updates before the trip and a recap newsletter post trip (with photos). You'll also get a public tweet.

    42 claimed
  • $50USD
    Training Partner

    The E-excursion, plus you'll receive a sample month long training calendar (if you want to train along with me, you can).

    20 claimed
  • $150USD
    Pen Pal

    The E-excursion, plus you'll receive a postcard sent from Kathmandu.

    8 out of 12 claimed
  • $225USD
    Your story told

    You/your story/your work will be featured on Project Exponential's blog. This includes a questionnaire for you to answer and a 30 minute phone interview. E-excursion, too, if you want it.

    2 out of 5 claimed
  • SOLD OUT

    $475USD
    Adventure Journal

    On each day of my journey, I'll write you a personalized handwritten note. The journal will be yours to keep once I return. E-excursion, Kathmandu postcard, PLUS a Discover Outdoors t-shirt.

    1 out of 1 claimed
  • $1,000USD
    Your own adventure

    Go on an adventure of your own with Discover Outdoors. You'll get a $300 voucher to spend as you wish (www.discoveroutdoors.com). PLUS one hour consult with Michelle: I'll help you with your business and/or personal goals and tell you all about Everest firsthand (I'll bring something back from Nepal just for you, too). E-excursion included.

    1 out of 3 claimed
Do you think this campaign contains prohibited content? Let us know.