Kids should be outside.You may remember riding bikes with friends, going hiking with your parents, learning how to fish. At sunset, mom or dad would have to holler at you to come inside. You felt safe playing outside and had plenty of opportunities to do so.
As a social worker in the South Bronx, I watched students pack into overcrowded gyms. Many didn't feel safe on their block, so their time in the gym was the extent of their physical activity for the week.As a probation officer, I saw that treatment programs incorporating wilderness experiences were more effective than detention centers. These excursions deeply impacted the juveniles, and their experiences outside together were some of the most meaningful they had.
$9,000 + Mt. Everest's Base Camp + Awareness = Success
In a world where "Nature Deficit Disorder" is a reality, we need to do our part to make sure all kids have access to the outdoors. My goal is to raise $9,000 for the cause and climb Mount Everest's Base Camp in order to do so. 15% of my fundraising goal will help me get to Base Camp, and the remaining 85% will directly support the program to provide such things as:
- supplies and research equipment
- hiking boots
- snacks and lunches
- student sponsorship for summer camp
- student sponsorship for the Student Climate & Conservation Congress
Some of the most epic journeys are traveled with teams.
I've created some fun perks as we work together to foster outdoor education:
- Your very own Everest Base Camp training plan
- Handwritten letters from each day of my journey
- A postcard sent from Kathmandu
- An adventure with Discover Outdoors
- The ability to experience Everest from your living room
- A twitter thank you recognizing your fabulousness
- Your story featured on Project Exponential's blog
Most kids have a handful of heroes who impact their lives. Thanks for becoming one.
Live in an urban area? Contact Discover Outdoors Foundation for volunteer opportunities.
Please share this campaign with colleagues, friends, outdoor enthusiasts and fellow adventurers.