July 6, 1983...
Avid cyclist Richard DeBernardis was riding the perimeter of Tucson, Arizona, in 106-degree heat. Having previously cycled the perimeter of Japan, as well as the continental United States, the concept of a perimeter ride wasn't new to him. However, as he rode through the scenic Tucson mountains, he couldn't help but be drawn to the city. As he found himself thinking back on all of the adventures he had during his previous perimeter rides, Richard realized many of those elements were in Tucson. The man with a thirst for adventure and thriving on sharing those adventures with others, he could come to only one conclusion - "This would be a great ride to open up for people."
And in that moment, the cycling event known world-wide, El Tour de Tucson, was born.
10 years ago...
Members of our production crew began documenting El Tour de Tucson because we were drawn to the energy it brings to our city every year. Becoming part of a larger whole, we have seen how El Tour impacts the lives of families locally and around the world.
We want to share the experience of El Tour de Tucson with the world through our Feature Documentary El Tour de Tucson: Live the Adventure. We want to tell you why this ride has changed our lives and share the stories of so many others whose lives were forever changed because of El Tour de Tucson. From the growth in our careers, to our personal growth, we all agree that El Tour has changed our lives and made us better people - and we aren't even cyclists.
Why We're Here
We are looking for $12,000 to finish this documentary. These funds will cover:
- Specialty equipment and crew to film the entire 111-mile route
- Post production equipment
- Filming insurance
- Travel expenses
- Along with digital copies, t-shirts, and posters unique to the event and this project, we are also offering you the opportunity to join us at an exclusive screening and spend an evening with the film crew as well as a number of high-profile contributors and riders that partake in the event every year.
- Executive Producer credit on a documentary that has the potential to reach world-wide
- Due to the complex nature of the course, our first priority is to be able to acquire the equipment and crew necessary to film the entire route. Reaching our goal will provide us the funds to upgrade to the state-of-the-art post production equipment to polish this project, while pledges that take us above and beyond our goal will allow us to add such touches as an original music score.
More than just a cycling event, El Tour is also “one of the top three fundraising rides in the country,” according to Bicycling Magazine and raised more than $2 million in charitable funds in 2012 alone. There are dozens of charitable organizations that raise money through El Tour, including: Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Susan G. Komen, and Rotary International Polio Plus, totaling well over $34 million raised throughout the event’s history.There is a ripple effect that spans the globe, with El Tour at the center, and, through this feature documentary, we want to show how far those ripples reach and tell the stories we encounter along the way:
- Families with children stricken by life-threatening illnesses who have only survived by funds raised directly by El Tour
- Organizations that raise funds for low-income communities and giving their children hope for the future through cycling programs
- Rotary International's quest to eradicate Polio from the world - we are now down to less than 10 countries still riddled with this crippling disease
- The ride itself is historic and has been the inspiration for many other cycling events worldwide, including an annual one at Mt. Fuji, Japan
For more information on El Tour and its beneficiaries, please visit:
Our Track Record
From our first Telly Award-Winning documentary produced in 2003 to the continuing success of the regional El Tour broadcasts, Monsoon Production Services has put together a team of individuals highly experienced in and passionate about both the film industry as well as El Tour. Our team has a total of 14 Telly Awards, along with several other Regional Emmy nominations for editing work. In addition, the team of Monsoon Production Services, headed by founder Justin Kreinbrink, has worked with some of the top ad agencies and networks in the country, producing both regional and national spots. Clients have included Discovery Channel, Dove Men’s Care, Mike Rowe’s Dirty Jobs, Bicycling Magazine, and countless others.
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand that not everyone can contribute funds, but that doesn’t mean you can’t help:
- Let's make some noise!!!! Ride Day is right around the corner - November 23rd. With El Tour on everyone's minds, this campaigned is primed to explode - help us spread the word through email, Facebook, and any other social network you utilize.
- Keep in mind that Indiegogo has tools to help us do all that and more!
Thank you for all you do - and for helping us share with you this incredible adventure!