The Bass Album
First of all thanks for considering to help fund this Project.
Bass is something that has always been a part of my life and I feel it's a underappreciated instrument. I aim to bring some awareness to what the Electric Bass can do by cover some great songs by Daft Punk.
This would be my first independent Studio Album, and rather than do an album of original music I thought it would be fun to cover a band that is really cool Daft Punk. They have lots of diverse music with great basslines, melodies and grooves!
The album will feature the Bass, mainly 4 string but some 5 as well, analog Stompboxes, Talkbox, and hopefully live Drums, although that depends on how much can be raised. If the goal is met there will be live Drums!
A Bit About Me:
It's been a roller coaster of a year to say the least. I started out the first two and a half months in the hospital. I was diagnosed with Necrotising Pancreatitis, and I didn't know it at the time but I only had about a 10% chance of surviving. Thanks to Dr. Andrzej Buczkowski and his team, as well as the support of my Family and Friends I was able to beat the odds and make it!
While I was in the hospital I had a lot of time to think about life and how I've been given a second chance. I decided if I made it out I would focus more on Music.
Since I've been out of the hospital I've been practicing lots and making some YouTube Videos, mostly for my own sanity and healing. As luck would have it one of the videos caught some attention and now has over 600,000 views!!! The video is a bass cover of Daft Punks "Get Lucky". I was inspired by so much positive feedback and the attention of the media. This led me to explore Daft Punks music even further and toyed with the possibility of making an album of Daft Punk Bass Covers. This is where I'm at now.
Goal of $5,000
- Studio Time for Drums: $850 per day 2 days = $1,700 (I might be able to get cheaper studio time, this is from a quote for the Warehouse in Vancouver).
- Mixing: $1,000 (Not set on who will mix it yet, but that's an important part of the album so hopefully it's enough.)
- Drums: $1,000 (I'd like to give the drummer something.)
- Licensing: 200 Cds or Vinyl + 500 Digital Downloads = $93.70 per song. * 6 songs = $562.20 (This quote was obtained from https://www.songclearance.com/ which as they say seems to be "The simplest way to clear any cover song".)
- Manufacturing: 200 Cd's = $572.00 (Quote from http://www.cdwest.ca/ for their CS100 style eco-sleeves.)
Total = $4834.20
That leaves $165.80 for other expenses, Things like getting the album on iTunes Bass Strings, unexpected fees.
The Budget is pretty tight, and I might be able to save money in some places. I've set the goal to $5,000 however if it doesn't make it I'll just have to cut back, get cheaper studio time, print less cds, be really nice to the drummer!
I would also like to document as much of the project as possible. I'd like to hire a professional videographer but just don't think I can fit it in the budget. I have a decent camera so I'm just going to film as much as possible!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't afford to donate, that's ok, please spread the word about this project to others who may be interested.
- Share the Campaign on Facebook.
- Send an email to someone who might be interested.
Thanks for your time and effort to help make this project a reality!