About The Chicago Free School
- We are a group of parents and educators working to build a democratic free school for the South Side of Chicago.
- At the Chicago Free School, students choose their classes and activities based on their individual interests. We do not have required classes, grades, or standardized tests.
- Students participate in democratic decision-making to create school rules, resolve conflicts, and suggest topics to study.
- Our small size of 60 students with 5 full-time teachers ensures that students get lots of personal attention in a caring community.
- We emphasize learning that is authentic, exploratory, and connected to the community. Our location on the second floor of Augustana Lutheran Church of Hyde Park is ideal for accessing local parks and museums and taking public transit on field trips throughout the city.
- We are committed to social justice and racial and socioeconomic diversity. We offer sliding-scale tuition so that we are affordable for every family, regardless of income.
- Every day, families express to us their urgent need for a new kind of school for their children. Your donations help us prepare to open in September 2014 and keep our school affordable to everyone through sliding-scale tuition.
What We Need & What You Get
- The money we raise from this campaign supports start-up costs for our school. In the long run, we'll meet over 90% of our costs with money collected from tuition, but we need your help to get us ready for the first day of school!
- The money we are raising now goes to pay for furniture, books, technology, supplies, and staff pay for our teacher planning and orientation period.
- The money we raise helps us implement sliding-scale tuition so that our school can be affordable for every family.
- Our thank-you gifts to you feature our cool new logo.
- Thanks to our 501(c)3 sponsor, the Experimental Station, your gift is tax-deductible.
- In our current climate of high-stakes test pressure and resource cuts, it is increasingly difficult for many schools to meet the social and emotional needs of students and provide an environment where learning can be authentic and fun. Families are eager for a school that will give students the autonomy and flexibility to pursue their own interests in a supportive community.
- Free School students grow up to be self-possessed, caring, self-motivated adults and truly engaged citizens.
- Our group includes educators with years of experience serving Chicago's students who will apply their expertise to create a school that will really meet the needs of children in a caring, joyful environment.
- Our school functions as a truly democratic community - we involve students, parents, and teachers in making decisions and give everyone a voice.
Help Us Reach Our Goal!
- Your tax-deductible donation of any amount helps us demonstrate the need and the enthusiasm for this unique model of education.
- Our goal is to reach 300 donors at any level.
- Please feel free to share our campaign via email or facebook. You can click the buttons or copy and paste the web address shown in the box.
- If your employer matches contributions, email or message us and we will send you a digital copy of the W9 form.