Can You Keep The Secret?
- We are The Secret Theatre in LIC, NY. We promote new works through our New Voices Project, our two annual short play festivals, we produce both Classical and Contemporary in-house shows, we are the only theatre in the borough of Queens producing weekly children's theatre shows, we also work with a range of great theatre companies like Gideon Productions, Flux Theatre Ensemble, Boomerang, Caps Lock, Anti Matter, Going to Tahiti and many more, we produce musicals such as our critically lauded Steampuk Oliver!, Urinetown, & Parade, we hold classes for students from 6 to 16 and provide coaching services to many. In addition we have become a center for great improv with over 5 improv shows a week & classes taught by Face Off Unlimited, we have hosted many contemporary dance shows and specialty music events like the Queens New Music festival, our hugely popular Johnny Cash festival alongside special tribute shows for Alex Chilton and Bill Withers.
- After a tough year when we discovered that the building we were in was not compliant we were hit with Dept of Buildings fines, architect fees and we had to move the Little Theatre to a different location with all the attendant moving and construction costs. Our budgets are tiny and with no real reserve to speak of we are dealing with a cash hole that threatens our existence. The Secret has become a major contributor to the cultural life of Western Queens and LIC and has been responsible for creating a theatre scene in LIC where none previously existed. With your help we can continue to win plaudits from The New York Times [multiple critics pick awards] also many shows and artists have won or been nominated for the New York Innovative Theatre Awards, we can continue to support awesome artists and to push the envelope of what can be achieved in a borough that needs us.
- So many people in this community and in the general NY theatre and arts community think of us as an Institution and yet we receive no money from either the city council, the New York Foundation for the Arts nor from the Dept of Cultural Affairs. If you help us you will keep a truly grassroots supported organization alive. And Kicking.
What We Need & What You Get
Let's break down what we need and what for...
- We need around $10,000 + to help us close our funding gap and to enable us to make crucial upgrades.
- If you donate to this campaign you can get really cool perks such as sponsoring a chair [your name or business on the back of the chair], at a higher level we will make you a sponsor of one of our annual festivals with full credit above the title line, logos on all our publicity, sponsor our Children's theatre programs - just $300 gets you 6 months with a full page advertisement on the back of either Pirate Pete's or Princess Particular's programs. Or get a full semester's tuition for 22 weeks for an aspiring actor [ages 6 - 16], get free tickets + a custom designed T-Shirt and much more...
We are making essential changes to how we run the business and your contribution can help us transition to a much healthier place where we can imagine existing for another 10 years and beyond.
- The Secret Theatre doesn't receive tax dollar money nor does it get capital or project grants. If you contribute you will help a theatre that has survived in a difficult market, on mostly ticket income only, to carry on providing the entire community of NY theatre lovers a a vibrant performance space for theatre, dance, improv, comedy, music and more. There is no Queens Art Center but the Secret Theatre has been giving artists the kind of platform including gallery space for years. Help us keep it going!
- Our successful track record includes hit in house productions such as our Steampunk inspired Oliver! the Musical [5 glowing reviews, sold out crowds every night], Richard III [all reviews over the top positive, sold out crowds] as well as outside productions such as Flux's Hearts Like Fists [New York Times critics pick], Gideon Productions Advance Man, Blast Radius and Sovereign [all three NYT Critic's Picks]
- All contributors will be invited to a free Ball if we reach our fundraising target. If you want any more information about the work of the theatre or how we intend to keep the wheels on our wagon please email our Artistic Director Richard Mazda - firstname.lastname@example.org
Risks & Challenges
- We thank you for your support. Be assured that the team at the Secret Theatre is committed to keeping our theatre alive with your help. We have done wonders in the last 7 years, what can we achieve with the support of our community? Miracles? Why not!
- Our plan for surviving this challenging period is already been put into action. Bookings until Spring 2015 are coming in and we have many new ideas to encourage growth including an expansion of our Children's Theatre programming, increased daytime classes to offset 'dark' hours which currently produce no income, we have also instigated a 'SECRET LOVES' campaign to identify and collaborate with local businesses. The Local NYC. Uncle Jimmy's Pizza [Sunnyside], Court Square Diner. Tiny You [LIC & Sunnyside] have already signed up. We expect to have collaborative cross-marketing stragegies with up to 20 local businesses by early September with no limit to the number of partners.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't afford to contribute please consider helping us by getting the word out. Please email links on your friends facebook pages or merely email any interested parties that you think would be receptive to helpin out?
- Please us the Indiegogo share tools!