Help Us Take Back Our Government and Overturn Citizen's United!
The corrupting influence of money in politics has grown too strong. From May 17 through June 22, 2014, we'll march from Los Angeles to Sacramento to demand our state legislators take action to give government back to the people. We are ordinary citizens united by a commitment to restore democracy in our country. Whether you march with us or support us with a donation, we need your help!
While most of us have other causes that we fight for primarily - the environment, education, immigration, economic justice, etc. - we all acknowledge lasting change will never come as long as money is allowed to corrupt the political process in our country. We want meaningful reform and that means a constitutional amendment. That is why we're asking the California legislature to pass AJR1, which calls for a constitutional convention to pass an amendment that will finally allow campaign finance reform that will not be struck down by the Supreme Court.
We the People must act to take back our government. We love our country and we want to get it back to a government of, by and for the people! Whoever you are, wherever you are, however you can help, please join us in this fight so all our voices can be heard in the political process as our forefathers intended!
"We should be unfaithful to ourselves if we should ever lose sight of the danger to our liberties if anything partial or extraneous should infect the purity of our free, fair, virtuous, and independent elections"-John Adams: Inaugural Address, March 4, 1797
Why We Need Your Help
- We are looking to raise $7,500. That is our best estimate of the amount of money needed to fund rallies to start and end the march and support the marchers throughout. Other than the initial and final events, money will be used to support the marchers with food and shelter and - if they are marching enough days - new shoes to make the 14 mile per day pace more tolerable. We also need gas for the support vehicle. Any money not spent on the march will be given to 99Rise to help fund future actions. See 99 rise's own Kai Newkirk speaking out at the US Supreme Court...
- If we don't reach our goal, it will mean we cannot support as many marchers as we otherwise could and will make the entire 480 miles much harder on our marchers who have committed to the entire journey from Los Angeles to Sacramento.
- If you support us, we will send you a personalized thank you and, if you donate enough, thank you publicly via tweet (please let us know if you would not want to be publicly thanked).
We are a grassroots movement without any big money backing trying to take on quite a daunting task. It's 480 miles to Sacramento and the heat is already coming on strong. Your donations will be the difference between whether we can take on marchers who cannot fund their own marching and provide for the marchers who have already committed. We're not asking for SuperPAC kind of money. Even the smallest donation will help these committed citizens take a stand and show our elected officials that the People are demanding change.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Get the word out by sharing our website and using our hashtags. #m4d Indiegogo has great share tools, so be sure to use those even if you donate!
- We also welcome people to march or make donations of equipment, food, or places to stay. Check out the event website marchfordemocracy.org to learn more about how to participate that way.
Thanks for helping restore government to the people!