We are selling awesomely grotesque baby Kurupuru (a key character in our film) t-shirts. Design by Brooklyn-based artist Sydnie Keeter! Get yours at link above. $22.
Limited Edition Teeshirt Campaign!
*Check out our producing timeline here.
* Want to contribute to the film by submitting your artwork?
We are having an open call for a fictive movie poster design! In Caihong City, inhabitants of the slums are crazy about long experimental films. You can create your own movie posters for these imaginary films and get your artwork featured in our indie sci-fi film. Go here for more details.
* WE HAVE A NEW PERK!!!!
*$9 Film (stream) + Postcard
Postcard with character design by Georgiana Toma (our costume designer)
of one of our main characters - Serioja in his youth
GO HERE FOR CHINESE FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN !!
!!!! WE HAVE LIMITED-EDITION CAIHONG CITY T-SHIRTS designed by our crew member artist Sydnie Keeter. ORDER YOURS TODAY AND HELP OUR FILM GET MADE.
THE GALLERY now has a sample of Caihong City Pre-Production Mood Boards.
CAIHONG_FILE02 - DIRECTOR TALKING ABOUT THE INSPIRATION FOR CAIHONG CITY
A NEW VIDEO ABOUT THE FILM FRESH FROM OUR CAIHONG CITY FILES.
the GALLERY now has early CHARACTER CONCEPT DRAFTS by Georgiana Toma (costume designer)
FLORINA - THE DIRECTOR
My name is Florina Titz and I am a director from Romania (b.1986).
I directed a no-budget feature film "TRIP" in 2008 that played in festivals in Romania, United States, Australia, France and Hong Kong. I got an MFA in Film&Video Production from the University of Iowa and made short narrative films such as i.will.know.you - a visceral exploration of Edvard Munch's "The Scream". I'm currently teaching film at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY.
I've been outside of Romania for about five years yet somehow it seems that all my films have, in one way or another, the same embedded city veins of Constanta, this underwhelming metropolis on the board of the lovely Black Sea, where I grew up and lived for 22 years.
Watch all my films here and see where they've played.
CAIHONG CITY - A FEATURE FILM
PRESS RELEASE: "With the help of the digital era, independent filmmaker Florina Titz is continuing her directorial journey with her second full-length feature, Caihong City, a post-apocalyptic fairy tale of a man’s quest to overcome class segregations in an ever-divided city."... READ MORE
Caihong City takes place on an island on a distant planet. This island is separated in two cities: Caihong City, which is made up of slums, depression and disease and Furui City, home to the rich upperclassmen and the disease-free. The only way for inhabitants of Caihong City to gain access to the upperclassmen’s society is to complete Supertasks - impossible to accomplish genius chores delegated by the Committee of Furui City. Upon completion of said Supertask, a slums inhabitant is granted citizenship to Furui City.
In the midst of the slums of Caihong City (Rainbow City) a dying Chinese genius named Liu Junjie is working on a Supertask: a perfect virtual replica of Caihong City in hope of gettin access to the perfect world (Furui City) and saving his own life.
However! A glitch appears in his virtual city and just when he’s about to lose all faith, he becomes acquainted with an uncanny homeless Russian kid named Serioja, and a chronically depressed and ruthless Romanian prostitute named Lavinia, and together they depart on a dark adventure through the rainbowed slums to find the answer to Liu Junjie’s glitch but also to unveil the city’s darkest and most well kept secrets.
A sci-fi fairy tale with glitches, unicorns and filth.
Most of the production budget is going into bringing the crew (and their ideas, colors, characters) in New York for the two weeks of production (starting July 10th). This film includes the participation of some of the most amazing artists I have ever encountered. These are humans from Romania, United States, Canada, China and Australia that I have met while growing up, or completing my Masters at the University of Iowa or while working and teaching at the Pratt Institute in New York. Artists, industry professionals, film educators.
By donating to this film you will fund:
- air fare for the crew (shoot happens in New York, crew and cast needs to be flown in from Romania, various parts of the USA, and Canada)
- accommodations for the crew (in New York)
- meals for the crew and catering services (for the two weeks of production)
- camera equipment (renting a Red One Package and grip)
- production design, props, costumes, all art direction
- location permits
THE CREW & CAST
Story - Florina Titz, Zhao Lewis Liu, Sophia Lou
Script - Florina Titz, Zhao Lewis Liu, Veronica-Jordan Sardi
Script Contributors - Mirela Ungureanu, Dan Faltesek, Chris Renaud
Caihong Linguist - Mirela Ungureanu
Zhao Lewis Liu (http://www.zhaolewisliu.com/)
Lana Moscaliuc (http://www.tripthemovie.ro)
Marian Adochitei (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2437553/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1]
Christina Gulick (http://christinagulick.wordpress.com/)
Producers - Zhao Lewis Liu, Veronica Jordan-Sardi, Florina Titz
Line Producers - Katherine Lodge, Christina Gulick, Zardon Richardson
Transmedia Producer - Daniel Faltesek (http://www.danielfaltesek.com/
Social Media/Associate Producer - Stacy Eriksson
Social Media Team - Shangguo Zhu, Na Lin
Director - Florina Titz (www.florinatitz.com)
Assistant Director - Eric Trenkamp (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3283287/)
Script Supervisor - Veronica Jordan-Sardi (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/veronica-jordan-sardi/56/227/6a4)
Director of Photography - Chris Renaud (Assistant Professor at University of West Georgia, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3232211/)
Additional Photography, Second Unit Director - Jeffrey Palmer (http://vimeo.com/user2833074)
Second Unit PA - Candace Curr
Assistant Camera - Max Moore (https://vimeo.com/maxjmoore)
Second Assistant Camera - Scott Lahn (https://vimeo.com/user7789967)
On-Set Photographer - Juliana Jimenez
Focus Puller - Stephen Crompton (Media Production Coordinator at The University of Tampa, https://vimeo.com/stephencrompton)
Production Sound - Maia Melton ( http://maia.tv/ )
Production Designer - Laura Cechanowicz (SA At Official USC John C. Hench Division of Animation & Digital Arts, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2288886/ )
Assistant to Production Designer - Steven Mondics
Illustrator - Sydnie Keeter
Special FX - Jesse Walker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4679381/])
Costume Designers - Georgiana Toma (http://www.junkotequeshop.blogspot.com)
Visual Effects Supervisor - Matt Pascuzzi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2763417/)
Digital Matte Painter - Fabio Pires (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/fabio-pires/1b/4b4/5a5)
Editorial - Sophia Lou (http://www.sophialou.com/)
Original Score Compositor - Silent Strike (https://soundcloud.com/silent-strike)
SOME PERKS EXPLAINED
*$7 Film (stream) + Postcard
Postcard with character design by Georgiana Toma (our costume designer)
of one of our main characters - Serioja as child
*$99 Enter Caihong City:
- You can choose between:
1. A Caihong City tulip (a special yellow tulip that grows on the outskirts of Sektor Rogvaiv)
2. Sertra-X Cigarettes (sertraline-boost anti-depressant cigarettes; the most valuable posession in Caihong City's Slums)
3. Caihong chocolate (frozen block of chocolate; incredibly toxic but delicious, regarded by Caihong inhabitants as the last thing to eat before killing yourself)
4. Caihong oranges (a symbolic object in the film, noone knows where they come from as noone has seen them grow in Caihong, but Furui City people have them somehow.)
5. Liu Junjie's kidney in a jar
6. Liu Junjie's pod (usually attached to his wheelchair, the main character would go nowhere without his trusty pod, that displays the beautiful Virtual Caihong City)
7. Liu Junjie's wheelchair (with a Blood Purification Machine attached)
8. Sektor Rhania's sertraline-contraption (a recently developed contraption that has an accurate way of quantifying sadness)
9. Serioja's magical herbs (that he uses to keep the Devil's Headache away)
10. Roasted Plums (one of Lebrac's favorite food, these goodies provide a lovely slums home-cooked meal).
These come on a first come first serve basis. Or you can choose to make your decision after you've seen the film. We'll serve a spot for you. There's only one of each, of course.
*$199 Penetrate Caihong City
1. Caihong City Dictionary: In Caihong City, people speak the language of Caihong, which sounds like a combination of Korean with Slavic influences. This dictionary will include certain words, phrases, expressions in Caihong with their English-translation. It will also explain some of the root words and talk about the process of making this language.
2. Caihong Cartoon Book: a comic book strip with the events of the film, from a side character's perspective. Hand drawn by the director.
These come on a first come first serve basis. Or you can choose to make your decision after you've seen the film. We'll serve a spot for you.
*$499 The Secret of Caihong City
Kurupuru ("unicorn" in Caihong language) is one of the main mysteries of Caihong City. Her fate seems to be strangely connected to the fate of the glitch in Lou Junjie's Virtual Caihong. Her giant unicorn mask is built by Romanian costume designer Georgiana Toma and our special effects guy Jesse Walker.
*$699 Serioja's notebook of poems
Is it gibberish or prophetic poetry? You can never tell with Serioja. This is the notebook of poems that he keeps in his totem bag at all times. A significant object in the film and a beautifully hand written notebook.