Prepare for SAINTS!
“ ★★★★★ Irresistible...It’s hard to imagine a more heavenly jam.” Time Out New York
Winner of Overall Excellence: Musical and Overall Excellence: Directing at FringeNYC 2013, Gertrude Stein SAINTS! is coming back to New York for a run at the historic Abrons Art Center! Featuring original music inspired by American music genres and created by the cast of thirteen, SAINTS! is more than a celebration of the diversity of American music genres, it is a celebration of what it is to be American.
“ ★★★★★ This show needs to be held over—it needs to move Off Broadway for a commercial run.” Examiner.comEvery audience we encountered at FringeNYC cheered, “PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK TO NEW YORK!” Gertrude Stein SAINTS! ‘has legs’ as they say, and with your support we feel we can bring it all the way to a national and international tour, to a fully produced soundtrack, to Broadway. Yes, we know that to say the words ‘Broadway,’ ‘international tour,’ and ‘soundtrack’ is to say a lot, but SAINTS! has always delivered and with this run at Abrons we hope to introduce this extraordinary work to the industry professionals who can help us fulfill its potential.
“An explosion of creativity… 'Irrational exuberance' has found a new meaning. Standing O, baby, standing O.” Curtain Up
What We Need
The minimum budget for this run is $26,000. This will give the show the visibility it deserves by allowing us to hire a marketing person, create a beautiful design, and support the cast and crew as much as possible while in NYC.
- $9,000 = Pay performers and production team $200/week
- $6,000 = Venue Rental
- $5,000 = PR & Marketing
- $1,650 = Contingency & Expendables
- $1,600 = Pay the designers
- $1,000 = Insurance
- $1,000 = Scenic elements
- $500 = Costumes
- $250 = Lighting costs
Why is this campaign continuing after the show opens on June 12?
Every additional dollar will allow us to raise the scale on which we are paying our artists. We are hoping that people who see the show will understand what is so special about it and feel more inclined to contribute. Did you see the show? Did you love it? If you believe artists should be paid a living wage for their work, then please make a donation and help make that a reality.
What You Get
Donate and these perks can be yours!
- $5: Saint Settlement - Social media shout out
- $25: Saint Plan - Live recording from performances at Abrons Arts Center
- $50: Saint Cecile - Your name listed as a contributor on our website for 1 year and mention on the official facebook page
- $100: Saint Genevieve - Handwritten thank you postcard
- $150: Saint Play - 2 VIP tickets to performance of your choice at Abrons Arts Center, June 12-28, 2014 (Visit the Abrons website for exact times)
- $200: Saint Ignatius - Come to a rehearsal in NYC before we open at Abrons Arts Center
- $250: Saint Chavez - A copy of Gertrude and Alice and Fritz and Tom signed by the author Hans Gallas
- $300: Saint Anne - A copy of the libretto for Gertrude Stein SAINTS! signed by the cast and creative team
- $500: Saint Sarah - Personalized thank you video from the SAINTS!
- $5000: Saint Therese - Producer credit
Each perk level includes the perks from the levels above it. All contributions are tax-deductible minus the value of any gifts included with the perks (the non-tax deductible amount is listed with each perk). If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact us.
Throughout this campaign, the funds we raise will immediately go towards the most present need. The first thing we will do is pay for our marketing campaign because selling out shows and getting as many people as possible to see the work is our first priority. If we are able to do that, the proceeds from ticket sales will put the company in a very good position to move forward financially.
After the marketing campaign, the funds will be used to pay our performers and crew because it is of the utmost importance to us that artists be compensated for their work. The scale of what we are able to pay our team is dependent on how much we raise through this campaign. Your contribution counts!
This show is doing a number of things that haven’t been seen on this scale in a long time. First, we are bringing the work of an early 20th Century genius to a commercial audience. Gertrude Stein’s work has not made many foyers into pop culture since her lifetime, but when Four Saints in Three Acts premiered in 1934, it was a hit ON BROADWAY. It was groundbreaking in form and content and featured the first all-black cast in Broadway history. We hope to bring back some of the excitement the general public felt for the work of Gertrude Stein.
Outside of corporately supported Broadway and touring shows, it is extremely rare today to see an ensemble cast of 13 people of this caliber sing and dance their hearts out on a stage. While we could not be more enthusiastic about sharing this show with audiences, we are also excited to be building our own careers as performers, designers, directors, and managers. The opportunity to perform on this stage at this point in our careers is overwhelmingly exhilarating and affirming.Considering that Theater Plastique has only existed for 1 year, we are starting to build a pretty impressive track record. When Gertrude Stein SAINTS! premiered at FringeNYC last year, we did 5 shows with a budget of $12,000. The show was incredibly successful, leading to two awards for Overall Excellence and the opportunity to perform at Abrons Arts Center in June. Going forward, we are workshopping a new show (currently called Emily Dickinson OUTER SPACE!) in San Francisco in July and premiering it at The Bushwick Starr in NYC in August.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Help us spread the word about the show: theaterplastique.org. Tweet it, Facebook it, Instagram it, tell your neighbor. Use the Indiegogo share tools to spread the gospel of SAINTS!
- Come see the show!
- Do you live in NYC and want to help out with this production in some way? Any of the following things would be incredibly helpful: room & board for artists/crew, postering/flyering, production assistance, etc.
- Do you have ideas for us? We're open to them! Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.