Black Ink Book Exchange, Briefly:
My name is Savannah Wood. I am a teaching artist and book lover living on Chicago's South Side.
For Black Ink Book Exchange (BIBE), I want to create a library of about 600 books primarily by and about people of the African Diaspora, to be offered in exchange for other books of similar criteria. As part of this project, we will also offer free writing workshops and open creative hours led by Chicago-based artists.
BIBE is a pop up project that will begin this spring at the Arts Incubator in Washington Park, and with support, will move on to several other South Side locations through the end of the summer. At the close of the project, all books will be donated to a public or semi-public organization where they can continue to get good use.
By supporting this project, you will be helping me share my love for powerful black literature and creative expression with some of Chicago's predominantly black and traditionally underserved communities. You will also be supporting teaching artists, and if you're local to Chicago, you'll be helping to build an amazing resource for your own use!
Where's The Money Going?
BOOKS - The majority of funds will go towards buying used books (and paying shipping costs), at an average cost of $6/book. These purchased books will be supplementing books that I've been collecting from friends, family and friends-of-friends.
- FURNITURE - Building simple and moveable bookshelves, moving tables, chairs, couches - all the things to make the space feel cozy. Some of these items will be made, some donated, and the rest will come from thrift stores, Craig's List, and my living room.
- ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPLIES - Printer, ink, book cataloguing software, custom stamp, advertising - the things to hold it all together, and help get the word out.
- CREATIVE SUPPLIES - Everything for our writing and crafting workshops.
- TEACHING ARTIST FEES - Paying artists a fair stipend for sharing their knowledge and talents in our workshops.
- HOSPITALITY - Coffee, cups, snacks - the little things that encourage folks to stick around and build with one another.
Other Ways You Can Help
- DONATE BOOKS! Either send me an email at BlackInkBE@gmail.com so we can coordinate a pick up time (or discuss covering shipping costs) OR drop books off at the Arts Incubator in Washington Park (301 E. Garfield Blvd., Chicago, IL 60637, directly across from the Garfield Green Line stop) Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 12 and 3 PM.
- INTRODUCE ME TO YOUR FRIENDS WITH LOTS OF BOOKS! Write an introduction email between me (BlackInkBE@gmail.com) and your book-hoarding friends whom you think may donate to this project.
- CONTACT YOUR FRIENDS AT PUBLISHING COMPANIES/BOOKSTORES & CONVINCE THEM TO DONATE BOOKS! Nothing more to say about that...