Carla De Sola, author of "The Spirit Moves" and founder of Omega Dance Company in NYC in 1974 is offering a Second Annual Sacred Dance Workshop in New York City in May 2014. Your support will help bring her grace, experience, and skill to dancers, congregation members, and movers of all faiths, backgrounds, and levels of training.
The workshop is co-sponsored by The Sacred Dance Guild, Omega Dance Company, Middle Collegiate Church, Trinity Wall Street Church, and the Church of the Village.
Dance is the most ancient art form of humankind. The power of involving the body in worship and prayer is immense, and is increasingly important in our sedentary and digital world. This is a special chance to work with a master in sacred dance and further Carla's pioneering efforts to bring dance as a Sacred Art into mainstream American culture. Your support will help people discover the power of uniting body, mind, and spirit in acts of devotion to all things sacred and holy.
What We Need & What You Get
Our committed partnership of faith and dance organizations are raising funds to sponsor Carla's expenses and artist's fee, as well as for scholarship funds to offer workshop participants for whom payment is a hardship. We will not turn away any participant for lack of funds--your support makes this possible!
Here's what your gifts will help to buy:
- Artist fee, airfare, and transportation for Carla DeSola
- Matching funds for full or partial scholarships offered to workshop participants
- Space-use fees for participating locations
- Videography of workshop content for archival purposes and to permit greater sharing of material with artist's permission
- Promotional material printing fees and other organizational costs
Here's what you can receive as our thanks for your amazing support:
- Gift of any size - full tax-exempt status as donated to the 501c3 organization of Omega Dance Company
- Gifts of $10 to $24 - the thanksgiving of dancers and knowledge that you have helped a dancing spirit
- Gifts of $25 to $49 - the above, and acknowledgement on the Sacred Dance Guild and Omega Dance Company websites as an event sponsor
- Gifts of $50 to $99 - the above, and access to video links of workshop material and worship performances
- Gifts of $100 to $249 - the above, and a DVD copy of workshop material and worship performance material, permissible to be shared with your worship community
- Gifts of $250 to $499 - the above, and preferred reserved seating for two at Omega Dance Company performances during their 2013-14 season
- Gifts of $500 to $999 - the above, and a set of photographic note cards created from shots taken during Carla DeSola workshops
- Gifts of $1000 or more - the above, and an invitation to have a meal with Omega Dance Company and Sacred Dance Guild leadership!
The power of dance as a Sacred Art is an incredibly powerful tool for keeping lives, hearts, and spirits connected to The Divine in all its forms in an increasingly secular and disconnected world. The sponsors of this event believe strongly that every act of grace that is physically embodied has the power to transform lives and spread compassion and love in the world.
This cooperative effort brings together the leadership of two sacred dance organizations and three faith communities in New York City, all of which have experienced the power dance can provide in a sacred context, to those dancing and those witnessing the dance. Carla De Sola offered the first Sacred Dance Workshop sponsored by these organizations in May 2013. More than 30 participants from the New York area benefited from the experience and were able to share what they learned with their home faith communities. We hope to build a tradition of cross-community, inter-faith, and accessible sacred dance experiences, thereby building the power of dance as a sacred art.
Other Ways You Can Help
We are grateful for your monetary support. Here are some other ways you can help bring sacred dance to faith communities next Spring!
- GET THE WORD OUT! Share our campaign with friends, family, co-workers, and dancers you know.
- Use the Indiegogo share tools on this site---social media means "power to the people!"