Who We Are
The Belize Zoo Transformation Project is a collaborative effort to promote inclusion and accessibility in both the US and in Belize. Founded in 2012, the project raises funds to make social and physical inclusion a reality.
Our story begins with a man named Jerome who had grown up at and loved The Belize Zoo. While working, Jerome was injured, which eventually led to one of Jerome’s legs being partially amputated. When he went to The Zoo to visit after his surgery, Jerome realized that he could not maneuver his wheelchair through the gravel pathways. He could no longer access the place that meant so much to him.
So The Belize Zoo reached out to the Inclusive Recreation Resource Center at SUNY Cortland (IRRC) in the hopes that we would be able to help The Zoo create a more inclusive environment not only for Jerome but for all of The Zoo’s patrons.
A love affair was born. Working together to form The Belize Zoo Transformation Project, The Belize Zoo and the Inclusive Recreation Resource Center formulated a plan to not only make The Zoo more accessible but also to promote inclusion and accessibility in the US and Belize.
Students gained interest in the project and a class was born. The first group raised over $4000 towards the project and went down to help with the construction efforts.
Our Fundraising Goal
We've made some great progress towards making an accessible environment at The Belize Zoo but our work is not done yet!
In order to finish our project, we need to raise $10,000!
- Money (whether we reach our goal or not) will go directly to making The Belize Zoo a more inclusive and accessible place!
- The funds will complete 5 miles of accessible, firm, and stable pathway for all patrons, no matter their ability, to enjoy The Zoo with!
- When we’re done, The Belize Zoo will be one of the Most Accessible Places in Belize!
The Belize Zoo Transformation Project is working. It is transforming not only a zoo but people too. And that is what truly makes a difference. Thank you for considering our project and for your support, in this project, and in everything else.
We'd Love Your Help!
- Please get the word out and make some noise about our campaign!
- Check out our page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BelizeZooTransformation
- And Twitter: @Belize_Zoo
- Visit our sister organizations: http://colfax.cortland.edu/nysirrc/index.html, http://www.belizezoo.org/
- Use the IndieGoGo share tools!
Class of 2013 Post-Trip VideoMeet Jerome
When you donate at any level where you receive an 8x10 photo from The Belize Zoo, please indicate which of the following you would like:
1. 2. 3. 4.
5. 6. 7. 8.