Beam ATX is sponsored by SCAD - The University for Creative Careers
*be sure to watch the video above to see the perks and check our gallery for updates and to see the perks also*
*we plan to become a Rhino Fab Studio*
Expanding the Creative Tool Set
While living and working in Austin as two industrial designers, we have been inspired by the creativity that resides in this city, and have made it our goal to contribute to this creativity by introducing Beam ATX. With Beam ATX we hope to expand the creative capabilities of Austin, TX.
First and foremost your contribution goes to creating a business that wants to work for you and with you! Every dollar you give will go to supporting a small business trying to make meaningful changes in the city of Austin. It is a dollar that is supporting the return of great products that are manufactured and designed in the US. This effort is a small one started by two individuals that are planning for growth in the community and at a national scale in the proper time frame.
- Customers - You will be instrumental in creating a new platform for designer to product high quality consumer and household goods that you will be able to have!
- Artists + Makers + Designers + Studios - Your contributions to this campaign are going to form a new fabrication studio with new tools that will expand the breadth of your projects, installations and capabilities!
The first step in the plan for Beam ATX is to bring a large format (4' x 8') laser (150w) cutter to the city of Austin. With this one tool Beam ATX can begin offering creative design services to the designers and artists of Austin. By housing one of the largest publicly available laser cutters in the city, Beam ATX will be able to support a wider range of projects for local creatives.
The Beam Team
Just who are Mike & Carlos? They are both hardworking, imaginative and passionate designers that have each recognized a chance to create something that can provide a useful new outlet for creatives all over. With both of us having worked with large companies on multiple projects we have learned an immense amount that will help us in this endeavour. Together we bring the experience and resourcefulness to handle the workload and responsibilites that come with running a small business!
What Beam is About
Beam is a multi purpose entity, in which our services will range from general laser cutting jobs to housing a design retail shop and supplying creative fabrication and design services to the community. Our long term goals will focus on creating design programs for the community ranging from seminars to art openings.
Perks for being a Beamer
Other Ways to Help!
Just spreading the word to all your friends and family will definately help us out in our pursuit at Beam ATX! Indiegogo has the tools to share this campaign with everybody you know through facebook, twitter, google + and via email by using the share buttons at the top of this page under the video!
- How does this help?
- We feel that bringing this tool to the Austin area will open up new avenues for the local design and creative community to pursue new projects.
- Can you do this?
- With our combined technical and design experience, we have the skills and knowledge to complete this endeavour.
- Is this enough money?
- After all of our planning and research we have come to the number above to be able to set BEAM up and create all the perks.
- What is laser cutting?
- Laser Cutting is the process of using focused energy to cut through material. Depending on the machine it is either a 2-D or a 3-D process. "pew pew"
- What are the risks and what are the solutions to those risks if they arise?
- After looking at all the risks and researching prior experiences we have been able to troubleshoot future problems and we have our procedures in line for the situations that could arise.
- Have you figured your legal stuff out?
- We have already versed ourselves in the local tax codes and have all the proper legal paper work ready to file.
- How big is the Laser Cutter?
- The laser has a 4' (48") x 8' (96") cutting area. With a 150w laser which will cut through 30mm acrylic and 3/4in Plywood.
- Where are you located?
- We are located in Austin, TX. Our physical address is to be determined after we choose from the warehouses in town.