You can help wake up the world with Awakening in Taos!
- Awakening in Taos is the untold story of a remarkable woman – Mabel Dodge Luhan. Mabel was born in 1879, a visionary thinker one hundred years ahead of her time.
- The issues and challenges Mabel faced with grace and courage are the same that women experience today. NOW is the time to share her passion, hope and courage with women. Her story is about starting over and jumping into the unknown—and it is a love story. The film production-in-progress is a one-hour biographical documentary to be aired nationally over PBS stations starting in 2014.
Mabel Dodge and Tony Lujan
- It brings to life the story of a woman finding her own way, and those she influenced through her passion for art and adventure. This story is set in the rich landscape of northern New Mexico, against the backdrop of Taos Pueblo. Awakening In Taos invites viewers to experience the world Mabel came to know intimately when she moved from Greenwich Village to Taos, New Mexico in 1917.
By supporting this film you can do something that will enrich your life. This is documentary filmmaking for PBS so there is no financial reward at the backend, just the reward of contributing to a film story that is significant and could change people's lives. Whether you want to support education, the empowerment of women, or Taos, New Mexico as a destination, this project will be something you will always be proud to have been instrumental in bringing to the screen.
View a completed episode from the film, Chapter 3: Drawn to Taos:
- We believe that viewers watching this film will be inspired by the daring choices that Mabel Dodge Luhan made in her life. Women need role models to inspire them to enjoy their own independent, fulfilling and creative lives. Mabel chose to follow her heart and discovered her own inner truth. How daring that she led her life in the early part of the twentieth century, facing issues that women are just coming to terms with 100 years later! Watch this film and wake people up to their potential!
Awakening in Taos features the voice talents of actors Marsha Mason as Mabel Dodge Luhan and Ali MacGraw as the narrator.
- Actress Debrianna Mansini plays the voice and on-screen character of Georgia O'Keeffe.
- We are a team of writers, producers, filmmakers and artists. The project is a collaboration of friends led by writer/director Mark Gordon. Mark grew up in the film industry in Southern California and is now working on our project in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He has gathered a team of passionate, committed producers, contributors, filmmakers, and actors to complete this inspiring project. We are already 2/3 of the way through to completion and have raised over $125,000 in donations and in-kind services. We have 22 hours of interviews and several more hours of New Mexico landscapes, historic photos, landmarks and architecture already shot!
PBS New Mexico ExecProducer Michael Kamins & Writer/DirectorMark Gordon
We are in partnership with PBS New Mexico to supervise the production and to aggressively distribute and broadcast the completed 1-hour documentary through PBS station across the nation. With a potential audience of 122 million PBS viewers, even if only 10 million viewers watched this program, it would be a significant television event.
We are already in film festivals. Even though our film is not finish, we have been invited to screen Chapter 3 as a selected short in the Albuquerque Film & Media Experience Film Festival.
Your contributions to this
campaign will take us all to the finish line!
We’ve screened Chapter Three: Drawn to Taos to local audiences and the response is always the same: “I can’t WAIT to see the completed project!” Mabel’s story is an inspiration brimming with courage. Many women and men are facing the same challenges in life that Mabel experienced in 1917. The story of her life opens up possibilities in personal freedom for all of us. (See the video in Gallery 2 of this campaign.)
- Learn more about Awakening in Taos at our website: Awakening In Taos
What We Need & What You Get
We are raising $15,000 towards completion of Pre-Production, Production, our final week of shooting this June, the editing, music track and post-production. Funds also go to cover the salaries of cast, crew, and editors. We are aiming to complete the film in August with premier showings in Santa Fe and Taos, New Mexico in September and broadcast through the PBS stations in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
You get to be part of our inner circle at the level you
support us, and will receive email announcements about the latest developments
and special events. You'll receive YouTube
releases of chapters or new materials as we complete them. You will have the
satisfaction of being part of this exciting project and helping to bring it
Please look at our funding levels for perks and incentives.
Listen to the story: Radio personality Honey Harris of KBAC Santa Fe interviews Writer/Director, Mark Gordon:
- Our Executive Producer, Michael Kamins, and PBS New Mexico partner station have already produced and broadcast the documentary Painting Taos (the first in a series of films about the Taos Art Colony) which has been broadcast nationally over 415 times on 80% of the PBS stations and was viewed by a potential audience of 122,900,000 people. Through our partnership with PBS New Mexico our film is expected to reach an even larger audience. We think that this story is important and that people who view the film will be inspired to seek out new directions in their own lives.
- Your contributions, whatever the size, will go a long way towards getting this story out to the world.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean you can’t help:
- Please help us to get the word out by sending emails to your friends and family, and posting on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. Please make some noise about our campaign! We appreciate it. Be sure to use #AwakeningInTaos when you share!
- You can use the IndieGoGo share tools.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any problem making a contribution on this site, update your web browser and/or contact mark@AwakeningInTaos.com