Autobiographical Conversations Comic Book
My name is Ryan Claytor and I write and illustrate a series of autobiographical comics titled, And Then One Day. With your help, I’d like to publish my most recent story arc, Autobiographical Conversations, as a 96-page collected edition.
Autobiographical Conversations centers on a discussion between Harry Polkinhorn (a professor of English who teaches classes on the personal essay) and me (at the time, a graduate student studying Comics and Fine Art) about autobiography, comics, and the intersection of the two.
I have spent several years researching, developing, and illustrating this project and I’m eager to share it with you in its final collected edition, as I envisioned it from the start. My hope is that the comics medium will provide a more visual approach to understanding autobiographical theory and framing the subject matter in the context of a conversation will allow the reader to feel more engaged, almost as though they were part of that conversation unfolding.
What is Needed
The $3,000 goal will allow me to have 1,000 copies of this project professionally offset-printed in a single volume. While the original mini-comics had print-runs between 100-300 copies per issue, this larger quantity will give me the opportunity to reach a broader audience through national distribution.
Additions to the collected edition of Autobiographical Conversations:
- Black-and-white pages have been remastered and will be printed in duotone color;
- Paper upgrades for both interior and cover stocks;
- Cover design will feature French folds and foil stamping;
- New pages featuring supplemental material and behind-the-scenes process information about the creation of this project.
Other Ways You Can Help
Even if you’re not able to make a monetary donation, that’s okay! I can use some help to spread the word about this new project. You might consider:
- Using the Indiegogo share tools;
- Posting about this project on your website/blog;
- Tweet/Tumble/Facespacing this website’s URL on your social media outlets;
- Telling a real, live, person about it when you interact with them in the analog world!