20 Years and Counting!
The Paul Krot Community Darkroom at AS220 is the only public black and white photo facility in Rhode Island. For twenty years, its accessibility has encouraged the photo community to flourish, including AS220 Youth’s photography program, which has been in operation since 2001.
By contributing to this campaign, you will help keep AS220 Media Arts and The Paul Krot Community Darkroom around for more years to come. Funding will go directly towards our mission of having facilities and services made available to all artists who need a place to create their original artwork, especially those who cannot obtain space from traditional sources because of financial or other limitations.
What We Need
Every two years AS220's photography program has held a local fundraising event to support the financial goals of a growing community. Now, AS220 Media Arts is launching an online Indiegogo campaign to lead the way in reaching our goal. We will compliment this drive with other local fundraising events which can be found at www.as220.org/darkroom
The Paul Krot Community Darkroom is managed by AS220's Media Arts program, consisting of one part-time staff member and 65 members. Twenty members have membership levels that trade volunteer time for a lower monthly rate. Duties include staffing the space, fixing equipment, teaching workshops, marketing, outreach events, and so much more. AS220 Media Arts offers workshops and resources in both analog and digital photography, audio/video production, and graphic/web design.
It's our goal to raise $10,000 in order to meet financial goals. Roughly 25% of the program's budget relies on fundraising efforts. The other 75% is earned through membership dues, workshops, and grants. We want to offer more workshops, an excellent equipment rental program, and improve our facilities to provide more access to tools and skills in media art and photography.
What You Get
We've produced some amazing perks to recognize how amazing you are!
Anyone who donates at least $5 will be getting an animated .GIF high five from one of our darkroom keymembers. They're the ones who make the space truly special. If you keep it open all day on your computer, thats 173,000 high fives! You'll also be listed eternally on our thank you section of our webpage.
- $10 gets you an AS220 sticker pack including a rad AS220 Media Arts vinyl diecut sticker of CameraHead seen in the video.
- $50 is a good one: two hand-printed postcards from the darkroom featuring the work of people that inspire us most --our members. Keep it for yourself or write a letter to your penpal! Those still exist, right?
- $150: OK this is pretty rad. We have partnered with the Providence Public Library, utilizing iconic photographs of our city circa the early 1900's. With access to these images we have created 4" x 5" glass negative contact prints (on 8.5 x 11 sheets) of which YOU will be gifted, in addition to all of the perks above. Click on this spirit baby for more examples!
- $300: That's right, everything above is yours...ALL yours. To supplement these lovely perks we have created a darkroom honor plaque upon which your name will be etched and proudly mounted in our community darkroom. You’re basically a celebrity at this point.
- $500: Though we can't get in your personal space and hug you excessively, we CAN grant you a special AS220 Media Art's gratitude package. You will: select 2 among 30 glass-negative contact prints and have your name featured on our darkroom honor plaque. And don’t forget, just like Jack and Rose in Titanic, we will never let go of eternally thanking you for your generosity.
- $1000 LOCAL PERK: Well, it appears as though you've reached the motherlode. In addition to everything you will receive from above, you will partake in an 'Intro to the Darkroom' or "Intro to Large Format Photography' workshop. You have the option of a personal one on one session or attending a group workshop. And, while waiting for your prints to dry, we'll nourish you with food (and yes, drinks if you're 21+) at AS220's bar and restaurant located directly downstairs. P.S. Because we can't snuggle up at your feet and praise you for your kindness we have decided to add in one additional 4x5 Glass Negative Print of your choosing.
- Your tax-deductible donation helps keep darkroom photography and media resources affordable and accessible to our community, both young and old.
- We have the only public darkroom in the state and surrounding areas.
- We are passing on and growing the skill and craft of visual art, storytelling, journalism, and self-expression to those who may otherwise have the ability to. We create job skills for both digital and analog applications.
Other Ways You Can Help
Share this campaign with others! You can use the share tools located right below the video, or, use your mouth!!
How about partying, mingling, listening, and discussing with other supporters of photography, community access, and the arts? We have a whole lineup of events at Aurora Providence on 276 Westminster St, Providence, RI 02903:
Friday April 4, 2014 // 7pm // Paul Krot Community Darkroom Birthday Fundraiser and “Portraits of Marasa: Photographing the Dominican Republic and Haiti” Photo Exhibit Opening // at Aurora (old Roots Café), 276 Westminster St., Providence, RI // Admission: Sliding scale $10-$30
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 // 5:30 – 7pm // COCKTAIL PARTY // Featuring photographers Huascar Robles,Miguel Rosario, Mary Beth Meehan, and David H. Wells; music by Jesus Andujar. Meet the artists, hear the inside story of their work while helping sustain the craft of darkroom photography. // Admission: $100 each or $150 for two.
Wednesday April 16, 2014 // 7pm // “Photographing the Edge: Documentary Photography Now” panel discussion // at Aurora (old Roots Café), 276 Westminster St., Providence, RI // Admission: Free
Sunday April 27, 2014 // 2pm // Make Your Own Pinhole Camera // Aurora Providence, 276 Westminster St, Providence, RI // Cost: $30 Register at shop.as220.org/products/pinhole