Please consider helping our first year, all-girls middle school team, the "Fastidious Lego Llamas," as we set out to compete in the 2013 First Lego League (FLL) competition. We have many first year expenses such as the costs of the robot, the software, and registration fees. Traditionally, teams engage in fundraising efforts to help cover these costs.
What is First Lego League (FLL)?
FLL is an annual international junior engineering robotics program for 9 to 16 year olds. FLL is designed to increase excitement and passion for science and technology, and to teach valuable employment and life skills. Each year has a theme, which for 2013 is "Nature's Fury" or, natural disasters.
There are 3 components to FLL:
- Programming a Lego robot to score points on a game board.
- Creating an innovative solution to the theme (click on this link to view a slideshow explaining our project message).
- Demonstration of the 8 FLL Core Values.
For more FLL details, click here.
Why do we participate in FLL?
The field of engineering is vastly under-represented by women. Participation
in FLL inspires us to change that! Girls comprise 1/3 of the total FLL participants. Through participation in this program, we are gaining valuable skills in programming, applied mathematics, teamwork, and working to solve real world problems. These skills will help us to pursue careers in science and math and be contributing members of our community and society.
Why are we asking for your support?
Your support will serve 3 very valuable goals:
- It will help defray the costs of our participation in FLL
- It will help us demonstrate our ability to reach a wide audience to educate people about FLL and our innovative solution for this years project.
- It will help us inspire other middle school girls to start their own FLL teams.
Where does your donation go?
100% of your donation will go to one of the following costs:
- Lego Mindstorms Development Kits
- Lego Technics Supplies
- Competition registration costs
- Non-Lego supplies required for the competition (poster boards, construction materials, team t-shirts, etc.)
Please inform others:
We are so lucky to have the opportunity to participate in FLL. We are grateful for any contribution - either financially, or by spreading the word about our team and FLL.
The Fastidious Lego Llamas (Hannah, Maddie, Audrey, Lucy, Taylor, and Edith)