UPDATE: We've launched a Referrals Contest! Details at the bottom.
Who are we?
We are a two person production team finishing up our first feature-length documentary, A Scarlet Letter. The movie has been shot and edited. All that's left are the final touches: music, graphics, and a few final animations.
What's the documentary about?
7% of Americans disbelieve in a god. 2% call themselves atheist. A Scarlet Letter explores the stigma surrounding the A-word, a word often associated with immorality, anger, and... devil-worship? Yet, despite the stigma of atheism, "none" is the fastest growing religious affiliation in the American public. This documentary explores where the lines between agnosticism and atheism blur, how atheism is perceived in our country, and in what ways atheists are choosing to stand out against religious intrusion in public life.
Who's in it?That's the exciting part. We've spoken with atheists from many different regional and cultural backgrounds from small-towns to big cities. In addition, we've spoken with many prominent atheists, scientists, sociologists, bloggers, and social activists.
Among them are:
- Richard Dawkins, author of "The God Delusion"
- Elisabeth Cornwell, founder of the "OUT Campaign"
- David Silverman, president of American Atheists
- Dan Barker, co-president of Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Andy Thompson, author of "Why We Believe in Gods"
- Aron Ra, Youtube Atheist & Podcaster
- David G McAfee, author of "Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a Non-Believer
- Debbie Goddard, Outreach Director for the Center for Inquiry
- Frans de Waal, primatologist & author of "The Bonobo and the Atheist"
- Greta Christina, author of "Why Are You Atheists So Angry: 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless"
- Hemant Mehta, author of "The Friendly Atheist: Thoughts on the Role of Religion in Politics and Media"
- JT Eberhard, blogger, "What Would JT Do?"
- Margaret Downey, president of The Freethought Society, founder "Anti-Discrimination Support Network"
- Phil Zuckerman, author of "Faith No More: Why People Reject Religion"
- PZ Myers, evolutionary biologist & blogger, "Pharyngula"
- Rebecca Watson, founder of Skepchick
- Richard Carrier, author of "Sense and Goodness Without God"
Each brings their own unique take on the atheist movement, and we are extremely lucky that each has graciously given us their time and expertise.
What We Need
Up to this point, we've paid for production costs out of pocket. As we near completion, however, we've realized that paying for licensing, clearances, and business costs are out of our means. We've calculated that in order to release the film, we need to raise roughly $13,000. We've also calculated that releasing the film with professional animations would cost around $19,000, and that paying for the necessary legal fees and distribution costs to submit the film to digital platforms like Netflix and iTunes would cost $26,000. Honestly, though, we're just hoping for enough funds for a barebones release. If we meet even one of our stretch goals, we'll be overjoyed.
Here's where the initial $13,000 goes.
- $6,400 goes directly to licensing and clearance of music and third party footage
- $1,800 goes to creating 1000 DVDs and one HDCAM tape for festivals.
- $1,800 goes to business costs, half of which goes to the cost of perks and half of which goes toward the cost of incorporating an LLC (and making a minimum $800 payment to the California Franchise Tax Board.)
- $1,500 goes to replace a broken camera lens. Oops. Our cameraperson paid for its replacement and we'd like to pay them back.
- $1,150 goes to a 10% contingency so we have some flexibility within the budget
- $500 goes to Indiegogo fees.
Here is a pie-chart showing where the initial $13,000 goes.
If you've noticed that this adds up to more than $13,000, then you're absolutely right? We're rounding down for numerical aesthetics.
In addition, we've calculated the following stretch goals.
- $5,000-$6,000 would give us extra funds to hire a professional animator for a few animated scenes within the movie.
- $3,500 would allow us to pay for Errors & Omissions Insurance, which protects digital distributors like Netflix and iTunes (as well as us) in the event that someone files a lawsuit. This is mandatory for digital distributors to even consider your movie.
- $2,000 would go to the costs incurred to submit to Netflix & iTunes. (Submission does not guarantee acceptance.)
We've set the initial $13,000 as a fixed-funding goal. This means that if we don't raise $13,000, then your funds will be returned. Sadly, it would mean that the film's future would be in jeopardy. We've set our goal as fixed rater than flexible, because if we didn't meet our goal then we couldn't be able to fulfill our perks. (i.e, we couldn't manufacture copies of the DVD to give out.)
Any amount raised above our fixed goal goes toward our stretch goals. If those goals are met, then it allows us the opportunity for even more possibilities. (Maybe a second bonus disk?)
What You Get
Enough bean counting. Let's talk about perks. We've lined up the following fun perks for our awesome donators!
First, contributors of ALL LEVELS will receive a high-quality digital download of Buck Bowen's FULL album, Truth Before Comfort -- a sort of Sunday-School-in-reverse concept album that addresses such questions as, could the teachings of Jesus be improved? Are the Ten Commandments all they've been cracked up to be? And what exactly is the soul?
Listen to a sample song, Atheisn't 1-0-None.
Other perks include:
- $5 - Our Thanks! Complete with a thank you e-mail and your name (or pseudonym) listed on our website as one of supporters!
- $10 - Split Decision! Your choice of an A Lapel Pin, an A Tie-Tack, or a copy of "Truth Before Comfort," the incredible album by atheist hip hop artist Buck Bowen!
- $25 - You Get What You Pay For! One copy of A Scarlet Letter on DVD!
- $30 - You Get What You Pay For Bundle! A copy of the DVD bundled with one of the Split Decision Perks!
- $50 - Insider Access! Exclusive online access to extended interviews!
- $100 - Credit You Deserve! Your name listed as a financial supporter in the movie's closing credits!
- $250 - Host a Screening!Get an early copy of the film to host your own screening! In addition, both you and your group will be given a Thank You in our closing credits!
- $500 - Become a Sponsor! Your secular, atheist, or freethinking organization is listed as an official sponsor on our website, closing credits, and DVD packaging.
- $1000 - Associate Producer Credit! Receive a prominent credit and see an early online preview of the film! Plus, receive an invitation to our Los Angeles Premiere!
- $2500 - Executive Producer Credit! Receive an extremely prominent credit, get access to an early online preview of the film, and receive an invitation to our Los Angeles Premiere!
As an added bonus, ALL perks $10 and up ship with a Get Out of Hell Free Card!
Other Ways You Can Help
Would you love to help but are short on funds? No problem! Just share our movie with your friends. Post our trailer or campaign on your social media. Like us on Facebook. Let your local skeptics groups know. Your word of mouth is invaluable!
Our Referrals Contest
We also have some exciting news. To make sharing our campaign more fun and encouraging, we are now launching a REFERRAL CONTEST! Our top three Referrals will win one of our three signed copies of David G McAfee's book, "Mom, Dad, I'm An Atheist: the Guide to Coming Out as a Non-believer."
In addition, anyone who earns over 100 points during the duration of the contest will receive a Special Thanks in the film's closing credits!
Here's how it works.
- Sign up for an Indiegogo account.
- While signed in, use one of the share tools (located just under the trailer at the top of the page) to spread the word and earn points. (You must be signed in when sharing or your referrals won't count.)
- Receive 1 Point for each person who clicks your referral link.
- Receive 1 Bonus Point for each individual funder referred by you.
- Receive 1 Point Per Dollar that each of your referrals contributes.
- The top three Referrals will each receive one signed copy of "Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist."
Mary shares her unique campaign url to her Facebook. 10 people click on it. Mary now has 10 points. Joe e-mails his unique referral to his grandmother, who contributes $30 to the campaign and chooses a nifty DVD w/ 1" pin as her perk. Joe has 32 points. Sam shares a link over Twitter, which goes viral and garners $4250 in contributions. But Sam wasn't signed in, and the link he shared wasn't his unique referral link. Sam has 0 points. Joe is in the lead.
Because it's impossible to track Referrals at all times, we won't be able to post a Referral Leaderboard here. However, you can check our latest Leaderboard by checking out our Updates section. We will try to update people's points at least once a week.
You can share your unique URL anywhere. E-mail, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Message Boards, Blogs, Carrier Pigeon... But we ask you to please be respectful of the rules and etiquette of any site where you post. The contest closes when the campaign closes. Good luck! Finally, by taking part in our contest, you agree to our Terms and Conditions.