The Global Processing Unit Project at gpu.sourceforge.net already created working prototypes of a tool which would allow users to share their own CPU power with others. The movie above, calculated by redshift is just an example. We did much more calculations in several different domains and you are invited to explore the gallery section or our homepage to see them. If this campaign gets funded, it will be possible to bring the GPU project to the next level.
What We Need & What You Get
- With the funding amount, we will hire a team of dedicated developers working for one year on GPU to get the GPU II version released. There is already a prototype and instrumentation of GPU II which needs to be enhanced. Developers from all around the world will hopefully contribute as they did with GPU I. See also the Gallery section to view what we could do in our free time with no fundings at all!
- If you contribute to the campaign, depending on the perk you selected, you will be listed in a special credit page (including a photo of yourself) and you will receive an enhanced account to the GPU network which will allow you to receive more CPU power than the normal user, as your tasks will be scheduled with higher priority. Everywhere in GPU II, your username will be marked with a special star. There is also the perk to be invited to the inauguration ceremony when the software will be officially released or to receive a postcard from the authors.
- This is an all or nothing bet: if we do not reach the goal, your contribution will be refunded. We will keep developing the GPU II network in our free time and maybe decide to try to get funded again at a later point.
- Additionally, GPU is released with an Open Source license, meaning anyone can read the code and enhance it. If one day this project should turn bad, anyone can fork the project and restart it with better premises.
The impact of GPU II will be huge. It will demonstrate that not only disk space can be shared on the Internet (think about the Web or a file-sharing client), but also CPU power. Unlike existing distributed computing projects (think of Seti@home), GPU II will allow anyone to give CPU power and receive CPU power for free.
- Connect normal computers on Internet to create the faster supercomputer ever built by mankind.
- General purposes tasks to advance society as a whole: compute climate models, detect dangerous Near Earth Orbit objects, simulate particle colliders, advance knowledge of Physics, Mathematics and Cryptography.
- Organizational purposes: let your company calculate the portfolio of commodities faster (e.g. mark to market or value at risk), solve difficult optimization problems which relate to your business.
- Individual purposes: calculate your own movies, generate your own bitcoins, roll out your own computational projects with little effort.
- Sensor network: GPU II is designed to create a global sensor network which could enhance weather prediction and earthquake research.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can’t contribute financially, it doesn’t mean that you can help:
- Get the word out and make some noise about this campaign. Write about it in your blog, use Twitter, recommend it to your friends!
- Don't forget to use the Indiegogo share tools!
- Visit the Project Page, download the application and the source code and play with it. Submit ideas, bug reports on the Forum. If you are a developer, contribute with patches and ask to join our team.
- Help us to enhance this campaign! Do a better introduction video! Become a campaign editor!
Thank you for your time and have fun :-)