"I think everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer. It teaches you how to think." - Steve Jobs
The Scholars Working OverTime program is the first College Prep program for middle school students in East Las Vegas. In this underserved community, our students voluntarily attend classes for 9 hours each day and are doing everything in their power to get to and through the college of their dreams.
We believe teaching these students to program will completely change the opportunities they will have to attend college and beyond.
- In 4 years, the SWOT program has already achieved unprecedented results, taking students 2-3 grade levels behind and turning them into some of Nevada's highest achievers.
- Our kids are already doing the work. Even though they don't have computers, they are learning on paper so that when they have access to a computer, they will be a step ahead.
What We Need
- We need $35,000. After processing fees, this will enable us to purchase 15+ pairing stations which will allow up to 30 students to write code at a time.
- 100% of all money donated will go to funding the computer lab and paying the fees associated with hosting the SWOT Bot.
- If we do not reach our goal, we will purchase as many computers as we can and keep building brick by brick.
What You Get
- Many campaigns set aside a portion of the money raised to buy a thank you trinket for donors. We do not have that luxury; our students need every dollar we can get.
- In leiu of trinkets, you will receive a digital thank you card, video updates on our students progress, and the satisfaction on knowing that you empowered underserved students to achieve their dreams of getting 'To and Through college'.
- All tiers come with the perks of all preceding donation levels.
"Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach them to fish and you feed them for a lifetime."
Attending Dev Bootcamp opened Rachel's eyes to an entire world of possibilities. Already at a disadvantage, these students don't have access to the basic technologies most students in the US take for granted. With your help, we can not only give these students a fighting chance, but give them a clear path to college and beyond.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute financially, please share our story with everyone on Facebook, Twitter, and by email. We need all the help we can get.