3rd Coast Beats is a series of music production workshops for New Orleans youth taught by local musicians, producers, and beatmakers.
There are three major tenets to the mission of 3rd Coast Beats.
1) Music and Arts Education in Schools: We believe fostering a creative mind is essential for comprehensive growth.
2) Job Opportunities for Professional Musicians: We will support local, New Orleans musicians by providing a means to supplement their income through teaching.
3) The Music: Electronic Music is an art form that transcends "beats", no longer limited to Hip-Hop, Techno, House, Dubstep, or the many other genres routinely associated with computer-based music. Today, electronic music is used in array of styles including Jazz, Rock, Pop, R&B and has been used for film scores, television shows and commercials, video games, and other outlets. Our program inherently supports the music and the artists making it by exploring the unlimited creative possibilities electronic music offers.
We've partnered with Cohen College Prep High School, one of the cities' most historic schools, to launch our inaugural event. Here we will provide a hands-on learning environment with access to some of the most popular hardware and software used by today's top music producers.
3rd Coast Beats is modeled after Today's Future Sound (TFS), a heralded music production school based out of Oakland, CA. To establish our program, Dr. Elliot Gann along with several TFS instructors will travel to New Orleans to train our team of area musicians and beatmakers on the TFS model and curriculum. Together with TFS, 3rd Coast Beats will work with high school students over a 3 day intensive workshop culminating in a live performance where students will have the opportunity to perform their newly created music for family, friends, and the general public. Alongside their instructors, students will experience what it's like to be a professional musician performing on stage.
This program is completely free for students.
What We Need & What You Get
The $6,500 goal is a conservative budget that will allow us to
1) bring the Today's Future Sound team to New Orleans for training and execution of our 1st workshop,
2) provide local artists compensation for their time, and
3) allow us to fulfill our backer rewards.
To show our gratitude for your generous donations we are offering some very cool gifts from a few of New Orleans' finest talent. From stickers and tees designed by local print shops The Inkwell Press on Oak and Dirty Coast on Magazine, to a limited edition autographed vinyl from New Orleans' own Quickiemart, we think you'll be happy with what we send your way!
Tell a Friend!To make this program possible we rely on your support! We are grateful for any level of support you may extend and additionally appreciate spreading the word, sharing our campaign with a friend to help us bring this exciting new program to New Orleans. Our mission is aligned with avid supporters of arts education, those who have a love of music or those who simply love and support New Orleans.
We'd love to hear your questions, thoughts or feedback. You can contact us directly at email@example.com.