No one likes "Burpees", they are a particularly nasty squat/push-up/jump movement that no one is ever excited about. I'm making a commitment to do 1 burpee for every dollar raised and I will video record every single one along the way. I will do the burpees at different locations around the Salt Lake Valley and post the videos for everyone to see. If you live or work in SLC, I will tweet and fb date/time/location - come and join me in spreading good health and be in the videos.
I am Tom Vidal, owner and certified personal trainer of Trainer Zone Fitness (a personal training business). I have spent the last 5 years of my life training and educating people as they work to reach their fitness goals through a healthier and more active life. Although it's one of the most rewarding experiences ever, I always have to ask myself, "When did my client's struggle with weight begin?" The answer always leads back to habits learned growing up.
I am the father of 3 healthy kids who are my world and I have worked hard to teach them healthy habits. Obesity is a growing epidemic that is becoming more prevalent in childhood and leads to more serious health issues in adulthood- it's a downward spiral that can be stopped.
I've trained people in their homes, in other gyms and online. The next step in my journey is to open my own gym where I can accomplish the following 3 things:
- Ongoing Training - I want to continue to educate and train people on their journey to reaching their fitness goals.
- Creating Opportunity - I want to provide a facility for other trainers, new and seasoned, where they can grow their own businesses and contribute to the local community.
- Starting Early - I want to start a free weekend clinic to educate kids about the importance of making better food choices and staying active.
This campaign is a key component for taking the next step to open my own gym. I've been fortunate enough to build my business over the years by leasing gym space from others. My new gym will provide a home for other trainers to do the same. It's all about paying it forward.
Your contributions are not just for a brick and mortar gym, but for establishing a place of health and wellness for all generations in a effort to create new healthy habits for everyone. The free weekend clinic is only the first step to helping spread good health. Thank you for helping me make a difference in our community.
A lot of Open Space
I am looking to raise $10,000 by April 30, 2013 to make this next step happen. Trainer Zone Fitness is not your typical gym full of machines and free weights. I focus on mobility, functional training and strength and conditioning. Therefore, I don't need a bunch of fancy or expensive machines that take up space. The concept is for open space where all 7 basic movements of the body can be performed - push, pull, bend, twist, lunge, squat & gait. Here's a break down of where the funds will go:
- $1600 deposit + $1200 first month rent to secure a 2050 s.f. building in Sandy, Utah to house Trainer Zone Fitness open gym facility.
- $1500 will go towards covering a 1600 s.f. area with rubber flooring and astro turf.
- $1800 will go towards a wall mounted rack system from Rouge Fitness equipment.
- $2500 will go to buy all the other exercise equipment including battling ropes, kettlebells, dumbells, heavy bags, tires, bands, bumper plates & plyo boxes.
- $500 will go to Mind Body software implementation for scheduling and selling training sessions online or from your smart phone.
- $900 will go towards marketing materials (ie. flier printing, signage, stickers, t-shirts).
If we don't reach our goal, the funds that are raised will go towards rent to secure the facility and I will still do the burpees. There is a ton of body weight resistance & interval training that can still be done in an empty warehouse.
You can probably tell by now that I'm passionate about health and fitness. I've made a living by helping people with their fitness goals and it's the most rewarding job ever. Not only does a physical transformation take place when I work with a client; a positive mental transformation takes place as well that carries over into all aspects of life. I see more confidence, more energy, more success in relationships and work. I get to see people come out of their shells and regain self confidence. I want to make sure these changes continue for all my clients and my goal is to instill the same change in our youth.
Everyone Can Help
I know that not everyone has the extra money to contribute and that's okay. But I will ask for one simple request: please spread the word about this indiegogo campaign. The more people know about it, the more likely we will reach our goal. Indiegogo has the tools to share this campaign on your facebook, twitter, google+ or a link to send by email. If you're not in the situation to contribute monetarily, please spread the word. That way everyone can help!