Wokamon is all about making walking fun.
The Wokamon iPhone app combines the function of a pedometer with the engagement of a virtual pet. Every single step you take helps feed and nurture your little Wokamon virtual pet. The more active a user is, the more their Wokamons grow and thrive.
Wokamons are special. They can make happiness from human's spent energy. So the more you walk the happier they make you.
Noodum are an awesome twosome. Mars (The Developer) and Okayboss (The Designer) met in a digital agency years ago, working on a bunch of interactive projects and campaigns winning a few awards along the way.
- We used to live a couple minutes away from each other. Now it's a couple hours time difference between Shanghai & Sydney. (We work via emails and weekly Skype sessions)
- The name Noodum is taken from our cats. NOOdle the white short hair in Sydney, and DUMdum the ginger tom cat in Shanghai.
- Our official food is fried chicken. It's no wonder we need to walk off the calories :)
How does it work?
1 WALK - Take your wokamon everywhere you go. Simply activate the app and go! Every step you take is recorded with our nifty pedometer.
2 GROW - As you walk, you'll burn calories. Wokamons feed on your calories. Watch as they change shape as they get bigger.
3 PLAY - You can also play with your Wokamon to wake them up and get more crystals. Spend crystals to buy tools and unlock new Wokamon species.
4 COLLECT - Add more and more Wokamons to your collection. You'll need to walk more to unlock all of them.
5 SHARE - Show your friends your progess and see what they've been up to. We want everyone to walk more and collect all Wokamons.
Why should I play Wokamon?
We need to give Wokamons a home! This is the story right here....
- Walking is easy. Why not make it more fun?
- We're living increasingly sedentary lifestyles, and we think our little app is a great way to promote a healthier lifestyle, for adults and kids alike :)
- The combination of gamification plus a running goal and narrative means there is continued engagement for a long period of time.
- Moving forward, we want to add more and more characters to appeal to every body.
- We want to build a community of active users working together to achieve in-game goals while they're working off the calories. Exercise is better together.
- Ultimately - we want people to walk more. We want them to choose a bit of physical activity over being a couch potato or taking the car when it'd be much more fun and healthy to walk a few blocks. Let's make this happen!
Where We're At & What We Need
We're a fair way along the development process. The core iOS development is 50% done and the demo is playable on the device using GPS.
But there's still work that needs doing...
We already have a working prototype with most functionality designed and built. Admittedly it's a bit rough around the edges and needs a bit of a push for that final stage of completion and polish.
While we'll mostly be putting our own hours into this, we do need some outside help, and we don't believe unpaid work delivers the best results.
Here's what we need -
- UI Design for remaining screens. This will be handled inhouse by our designer.
- Character designs - Wokamons are what make this pedometer interesting and engaging. We alreayd have a handful made up but really need more to keep up interest and reward people for walking.
Animation - What's a Wokamon if it doesn't move? We need talented animators to bring them to life.
- Motion design - As the videos in this campaign shows, motion design isn't our forte. To bring maximum impact to all our video work, we need to hire a talented person to work with our animators and bring the story to life.
- Marketing & Promotion - we need a bit of a budget to get the word out and let people know that the Wokamons are coming!
What Do You Get?
We've lined up some great perks for our generous backers! Check out the sidebar on the right for more details.
The more you give, the more awesome we can make it.
Include 2 more Wokamons in the initial release (a total of 7)
An login/register system for every user where user can download future monsters
An android home for Wokamon
A crowd voting website where everyone can pick his/her favourite Wokamon design from a group of selected illustrators.
THANK YOU for being awesome and helping us make this happen!