Thank you to everyone for your donations!
Pre-order your book! Donate at the $25 level! To order multiple books, select the $25 Lynx Level and add $25 for each book you want.
Have you ever taken a child to the zoo and had to explain why the animals were not as active as they expected? That's what happened to Renee's father when he took his daughter to New Orleans' Audubon Zoo.
"The lions were lazy.
The snakes just snored.
The dolphins were drowsy.
The boars were... a bore."
To satisfy her curiosity about what makes the animals so sleepy, Renee's father makes up an elaborate story about all the music and festivities that keep the animals up all night. He tells her all about how...
"The hippos hip hop.
The flamingos flamenco.
The rhinos rock out.
The tarantulas tango."
In the end, Renee calls her dad's bluff... or could he be right?
Four friends game together to create a children's book that captures what they love about their city.
The story and the illustrations show the laid-back, fun-loving spirit of New Orleans, and the project exemplifies the creative, collaborative energy that is at the heart of the rebirth of New Orleans.
Reasons to Donate
- The book has been awarded "Best New Orleans Children's Book" by NOLA.com.
- A portion of proceeds will be donated to the Audubon Zoo to help build a new elephant sanctuary.
- The books is locally written, locally illustrated and will be locally printed. We are self-publishing, which means that all donations stay in our community.
- Supporting creative and entrepreneurial projects in New Orleans makes our city a better place to live.
- Through rhyme and alliteration, the book builds phonemic awareness in children. Phonemic awareness, a pre-reading skill, is understanding that words are made up discrete sounds.
- Through repetition of concepts using several different words, the book builds vocabulary.