We still really need your help.
We have some Silent Auction items as perks for your contribution. See the list on this page (and if you want specific items from the packages, let us know and make a bid).
QWOCMAP is a non-profit media arts and activist organization that creates, exhibits and distributes films that authentically reflect the lives of queer women of color, gender nonconforming and transgender people of color, and addresses the vital social justice issues that concern multiple communities.
For 13 years, with few material resources, QWOCMAP has accomplished so much through the support of our communities. Yet this year, as with many of our sister LGBTQ people of color organizations, the search for funding has been an almost spirit-numbing challenge. Many of us have lost support due to shifts in funding priorities or lack of resources. In the past year, QWOCMAP's budget has been reduced by 1/3 and our staff has been reduced by almost half. We still need to raise $50,000 to go forward with our programs as planned.
All year, we have been working hard to raise resources, and held a fundraising event on March 16. That night, over $10,000 worth of filmmaking equipment was stolen. This loss was substantial for QWOCMAP, which provides free programs to our community as part of our commitment to economic justice. Most devastating was the loss of the creative property created by QWOCMAP, which includes our curriculum, presentations and other materials, and represents hundreds of hours of staff time worth nearly $25,000. These unexpected costs were not within our already reduced budget and the impact of these losses have felt like an insurmountable challenge.
What We Need
We need $50,000 to continue our programs as planned.
That is a REAL number and our bare minimum to keep going.
Yet we cannot continue our work as planned without your help.
Your tax-deductible gift will directly support QWOCMAP programs.
Any money we raise above our $50,000 goal will be used to upgrade our programs to serve more queer women of color, gender nonconforming and transgender people of color, in the Bay Area, nationally and globally.
If we surpass our goal of $50,000, the additional funds will be used to:
- purchase camera packages ($5,000 each) for Panasonic HPX170 camera, Media Cards, Microphones, Tripods and other accessories for participant use
- purchase computer packages ($5,000 each) MacBook Pro laptop & accessories for participant use
- revamp our QWOCMAP website ($20,000) to stay connected to you, our community! This will include a new more accessible design and integration of a new video-streaming channel for you to watch QWOCMAP Films when you want.
- translate our QWOCMAP Online University ($35,000) into Spanish, Chinese and Arabic to take our filmmaking workshops around the world.
Since QWOCMAP’s launch in 2000, we’ve grown immensely with many thanks to our community. With your support, we’ve been able to:
- Involve our marginalized and low-income community in the most visible and expensive medium - FILM.
- Nurture over 300 films through our Filmmaker Training Program, and screen them to 50,000 people throughout Africa, Asia, the Americas, Australia and Europe to audience, jury and critical acclaim.
- Offer professional filmmaking training and nurture the creation of 30+ films created each year, which represents an investment in the creativity and leadership of our community, annually worth half a million dollars.
- Develop QWOCMAP Online University, a mobile-optimized course management system to support learning and bring filmmaking to communities around the world, a project led by one of our QWOCMAP Filmmakers and her amazing team of Instructional Designers.
- Launch our pilot Film & Freedom Academy (an intensive version of our award-winning 16-week workshops) across the U.S. in partnership with LGBTQ people of color organizations.
- Work with partners in Colombia to support them to start their own filmmaking workshops in 2011.
- Build transnational solidarity with LGBTQ people of color organizations involved in intense on-the-ground struggles for human rights, from our friends in China and Southeast Asia, throughout Africa, to our partners in Latin America.
Reels of Resistance: ARTIVISM
QWOCMAP believes that filmmaking is at the heart of the ability to survive and thrive for low-income communities, especially LGBTQ people of color. Film has the ability to transform by giving voice to the unheard and the forcibly silenced. In traditional media our images are extremely limited and often destructively stereotypical. Yet, film can reframe contentious public discussion. Film provides an entry to activism, and to quote writer-activist Jewelle Gomez, in a media-saturated society, “learning to make a film is as important as learning how to organize a protest march.”
We actively invest in, develop, and nurture the creativity and leadership of African descent/Black, Asian Pacific Islander, Latina, Native American/ Indigenous/First Nations, Southwest Asian, North African/Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, South Asian (SWANA/AMEMSA), and mixed-race lesbian, bisexual, queer women of color, gender nonconforming and transgender people of color. We focus our resources to guarantee full access and increase cultural participation, especially for low income, immigrants, youth, elders and the disability community. Our vision is to develop artist-activist leaders who can lead social justice movements that understand the power of art as cultural resistance, cultural renewal and cultural resilience.
So please support independent media created by, for and about queer women of color, gender nonconforming and transgender people of color!
Good Looking Out
There are other ways that you can help. We understand that some folks don’t have the capacity to contribute. You can still have our back through our Indiegogo campaign:
Give our campaign a shout out:
- Become our FACEBOOK friend QWOCFF SF or like our QWOCMAP page, and share with your friends
- RETWEET our messages! Use #QWOCMAP, #QWOCFF and #QWOCstar to share our story!
- Make some noise about our campaign and use indiegogo super easy share tools with your peeps!
Volunteer! We have ongoing needs in the office and at events including our fundraising parties. Please contact http://www.qwocmap.org/volunteer.html if you want to volunteer, we’ll be happy to see you!
lXs QWOCMAPerXs making it happen