So I bought a video game store...
A year ago I took the crazy chance to chase my dream by purchasing a small video game store at a flea market in Jacksonville Florida. I've loved video games since I was a kid and having the opportunity to share that passion is a dream come true. I’ve worked incredibly hard over the past year to take this dirty run down game store and create the busy “nerd castle” that it is today.
[May 2012] The day I bought the store…
For more images, view my original thread on the Game Collecting sub-Reddit, voted Find of the Month May 2012!
[Aug 2013] Current
Unfortunately, we are only allowed to be open on weekends due to the fact the store is located at a flea market.
That’s where you come in!
What We Need
Opening a game store is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I will be acquiring a loan to cover some of the costs of opening a retail location, but before I can acquire a loan I will need a percentage of that money in cash (much like a down payment). I am trying to crowdfund part or all of the money needed for that down payment. The $5,000 goal is what I need to have half of the money required.
Initial $5,000 Goal
- Half the money reached to acquire the loan
- Buys inventory, point of sale equipment and more
- Helps show lenders the community want the store
Stretch Goal of $6,000
- Game testing / Demo station - Try your games before you buy it!
Stretch Goal of $7,000
- More store decorations, including a very cool window decal; like this...
Stretch Goal of $8,000 to $9,000
- Game room & lounge for hosting parties and testing games
- A place to play board games and card games
Stretch Goal of $10,000
- All the money reached to acquire the loan
- Buys more inventory
- Helps pay for the build out phase
- Solidifies that fact that the community wants the store
All funds that I received from this campaign will go towards opening the brick and mortar store, even if the $5,000 goal is not met.
Some of the rewards for backers include:
- Permanent sponsor marker in store
- Promo on my podcast
- Video game art print
- Video Game Rescue T-shirt
- Opening night party admission
- Store discount card
- Video Game Rescue sticker
- A thank-you on our website
- Hand written thank-you card
- Personal thank you phone call for contributing to our cause
My vision for the store is bigger than just becoming a little hold-in-the-wall video game dealer… It’s a place where you can let your inner child out. Geek out with our old-school games, new game selection, toys, card games and more! By backing this campaign, you are doing much more than just making my dream come true. You're helping build a friendly community for gamers and collectors in Jacksonville. Every dollar donated, every like or share helps us “bring an old friend back to life” and preserve the fun in games and toys.
Other ways you can help:
I am deeply appreciative for any and all assistance provided to help make this dream store a reality.
A few other ways you can help is spread the word include...
- Tell your friends and family on Facebook
- Twitting to your followers on Twitter
- Spead the word on social media sites, like Reddit
- E-mailing your buddies
- Volunteering your time or talents