Have you ever wondered how accurately cycling sensors measure your distance?
Over 2 meters or 7 feet! Consequently, the speed is trailing behind and you can’t gauge your acceleration.
We have developed innovative Bluetooth Smart wheel sensor which is 360 times more accurate than any cycling sensor on the market.
It started back in 2006. I was working as an IT consultant and often commuted from my home in Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA. While driving on highway I realized how inaccurate car speedometers are. To fix this problem we built a team of top-gun tech guys and by 2008 the first ultra-high precision Bluetooth laser sensor for the car wheel was created.
While automotive industry was going through a major crisis quite a few cyclists approached us. So, we developed the new magnetic field sensor, first for track, then for road and mountain bikes. After all, if there is a wheel, we can measure its motion to 1° precision.
The new VeloComputer 1° Precision Bluetooth Smart Sensor is a product of 5 years of R&D, 4 major versions and a dozen of releases from Bluetooth 2.0 to the new Bluetooth 4.0 low-energy wireless technology.
Early this year we released a PRO version with maximum functions including grade and power. However, we understand that not all of you want to break the Olympic record. The RIDER version, featured in this campaign, is a simple yet still highly accurate sensor. And, if you still want to break the Olympic record you can always upgrade the sensor to SPORT or PRO, with a simple over-the-air firmware update.
Great... why do I want one?
Do you want to feel thrilling acceleration and have instant powerful control over it? All you need is RIDER. For as much as 50% off (retails at $100).
Your help gives us an opportunity to jump start the production. Your valuable contribution will be used to buy electronic components for the first production size batch.
This is not a prototype. We have tested the technology over 3 years at velodromes in Los Angeles, CA and Vancouver, BC, many road and mountain trials, and our own lab
- Measures distance in 1cm ( 1/2" ) increments
- 360 times more accurate than traditional cycling sensors
- Transmits data up to 15 times per second
- Increases responsiveness and reduce latency to less than a second
- Measures performance data with precision:
- time in 0.001 of a second
- distance in 0.01 of a meter
- speed in 0.01 of a kilometer (KMH) or a mile (MPH) per hour
- acceleration in 0.01 of a KMH or a MPH per second
- cadence 1 rotation per minute (RPM)
- Bluetooth 4.0 SMART (low energy)
- Replaceable 3 volt CR2032 coin cell battery lasts up to 200 hours
- Rigid and waterproof
- slope grade calculation in 1% increments
- 3-axis accelerometer recording X, Y and Z G-forces
PRO adds Power in 1 Watt increments
Do you have a cycling team?
Get 8 Smart Sensors RIDER version and receive FREE VeloCoachTM Android tablet app to monitor the entire team.
For each pledge of a team pack we will donate one Sensor RIDER to a disabled athlete of your choice.
You need an app to use the sensor
VeloComputer app is available on iPhone 4S & 5, iPod Touch 5 and iPad with Bluetooth 4.0
We also have a working VeloComputer app on Moto RAZR with a special Bluetooth 4 API for Android. We hope that Google will release support for Bluetooth 4.0 (low energy) soon and all current Android phones with Bluetooth 4 will be able to connect to the sensor.
Would you like to create your own app?
If you are a developer you can tap into Bluetooth Smart 1° Precision wheel revolution technology and invent new applications with the Software Developer Kit (SDK) for VeloComputer Bluetooth Smart Sensor.
The sensor is equipped with 3-D magnetometer and accelerometer. The 3-axis magnetometer is used to detect a magnetic field direction from a magnet on a wheel with 1° precision of a wheel revolution. This translates into 1 centimeter (1/2 inch) precision of a distance. The 3-axis accelerometer detects gravity forces which can be used to calculate slope grade, G-forces and detect a fall.
Software Developer Kit includes:
- One (1) VeloComputer Smart Sensor SDK version with updatable firmware over-the-air;
- Bluetooth 4.0 Smart communication protocol manual, developers guide with code samples;
- 6 months developer-to-developer detailed (code level) support to help you on every stage of your creative process;
- Listing at www.velocomputer.com
Other Ways You Can Help
- Spread the word about us.
50 likes on Facebook or followers on Twitter will get you a cycling cap
100 likes a sensor.
- If you have a power meter and can test VeloComputer PRO become our valuable tester and PRO community leader.
- If you are a mountain biker and can test VeloComputer SPORT become our valuable tester and SPORT community leader
- Thank you for using the Indiegogo share tools.
Many thanks to our small yet dedicated team: Bob, Dmitry, Eugene, Michael, Russell, Soren, Stan and Yuri. This wouldn't be possible without you.
Special Gratitude to:
Dr. Herbert Baechler, Technical advisor for BMC Racing team, for insightful advice, testing and much more;
Andy Rihs for being a patient investor;
Julian Base, National track and road champion, for testing and valuable feedback;
Roger Young, former US Olympic team coach, for coach's perspective advice and testing at LA velodrome;
...and all of our first adopters.
Thank you, Indiegogo, for making this campaign possible.
Vlad Savchenko, CEO @ SoundOfMotion
Team on This Campaign: