Ultimate Peace In the Middle East
Ultimate Peace holds the belief that the youth of today will lead the Middle East peace of tomorrow.
Overview: Founded in 2008, Ultimate Peace in the Middle East uses the sport of Ultimate Frisbee (Ultimate) and its core humanistic values as our primary tools for building multicultural bridges of understanding and friendship. The video reveals the remarkable impact of the first 4 years of our overnight camp and community programs. Now we aim to expand our program to enable youth to stay deeply engaged year-round, and build capacity to accommodate waiting lists of eager youth.
Ultimate is the perfect tool for peace building - fair play, mutual respect, and responsible sportsmanship are valued as much as winning within this international sport’s unique culture. Players must learn to resolve disagreements and conflicts on the field as there are no referees.
The Problem: Arabs, Jews and Palestinians are separated, isolated, and unconnected. These neighbors have no real contact. In addition, the skills they would need to develop mutual understanding are simply not being taught in the region. Regardless of political progress or solutions, if youth do not have the opportunities to connect or the capacity to relate given the vast cultural/religious/social differences, there can never be lasting peace in the troubled region.The Opportunity: Recent violent outbreaks and ongoing tension in the Middle East confirm that solutions to the conflict are not around the corner. Ultimate Peace is even more determined to bring hundreds and thousands of youth to the side of peace and hope during these times when gravity pulls towards fear, division, and hostility. Our long-term vision is that thousands of program participants will apply what they have learned in the program and become agents of positive change, working together to create a brighter future in the region.
3 Years In – Innovation and Success! Ultimate Peace is a volunteer-driven non-profit that throughout the year serves over 300 youth in 6 Arab communities in Israel, 3 Palestinian communities in the West Bank, and 5 Jewish Communities in Israel.
We have been fortunate to experience incredible success in a short amount of time due to our program quality and approach:
• In a region where co-existence programs are dying due to lack of youth participation and community backing, the demand for our programs is growing. Youth are very engaged, participation is high, and there is always a waiting list.
• Our Coaches in Training Leadership Program had 100 applications for 10 spots.
• The Israeli Ministry of Culture and Sport singled out Ultimate Peace in the Middle East as an exemplary co-existence program - 120 foreign dignitaries were brought to an Arab Village to observe our program in action
• The Israeli Ministry of Education called Camp UP one of its best camps
• Unlike other programs, we send our (volunteer) staff/coaches to the West Bank and remote Israeli communities to work directly with our youth.
• Every summer our two-week overnight camp attracts between 80 and 90 international volunteer educators and coaches.
- Weekly practices in each community
- Monthly Ultimate Peace League
- Quarterly Multi-community Tournaments
- Monthly Coaches in Training Leadership Program
• The annual organizational budget is $450,000. We rely heavily on private donors and foundations to make our organization run. The interest in our program is growing faster than we ever could have imagined, which is why we have created this call for help. Please be part of this journey with us.
• Transportation of Youth to Activities
• Transportation of Coaches to Communities
• Site/Field Rentals
• Program Administration
• Insurance and Permits
• Gear for Youth
Other Ways You Can Help
If you are interested in helping in other ways or learning more about the work that we do, please check out our website at www.ultimatepeace.org
and like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UltimatePeace
And if you have any questions at all, do not hesitate emailing firstname.lastname@example.org