YOU can get this life-changing film into more hands, now.
TWO SPIRITS interweaves the tragic story of a mothers loss of her son with a revealing look at the largely unknown history of a time when the world wasnt simply divided into male and female and many Native American cultures held places of honor for people of integrated genders.
Powerful and moving, Lydia Nibleys documentary TWO SPIRITS explores the life and death of Fred Martinez and the ancient Native American two-spirit tradition. TWO SPIRITS premiered on the Emmy Award-winning PBS series Independent Lens, hosted by America Ferrera, on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 and will be re-broadcast 1,495 times by 140 PBS stations from June 14-29th.
Fred Martinez told his mother he felt as if he was both a boy and a girl, and she explained that this is a special gift, according to traditional Navajo culture. But the place where two discriminations meet is a dangerous place to live, and Fred became one of the youngest hate-crime victims in modern history when he was brutally murdered at sixteen. Between tradition and controversy, and freedom and fear, lies the truththe bravest choice you can make is to be yourself.
VIEWERS OF THE FILM HAVE SAID THEY WANT MORE PEOPLE TO SEE IT, THAT IT NEEDS TO BE AVAILABLE MORE WIDELY. SO PLEASE JOIN WITH US TO FUND THE EXPANDED OUTREACH AND EDUCATIONAL EFFORTS SURROUNDING TWO SPIRITS FILM.
As viewers and supporters you can have a direct impact on many lives. Our current goal is to make the most of the national awareness around the PBS-Independent Lens broadcasts to leverage a larger effort to fund distribution of the film in cities and rural communities and to make it more widely available to organizations. When people see the film and engage in meaningful discussions, hearts are opened and minds are changed.
Who will be reached?
- Tribal organizations that want many members of their communities to have copies of the film.
- Many nonprofits that want to use the film in public screening events and in their ongoing programs.
- Many libraries that want to add the film to their collections.
- Many educators want to add the film to their curriculum but they cant unless we can support them in a this time of budget crunch by providing the film through your underwriting of the cost.
- Wed also like to see the film screened more by communities of faith and are working hard to make that happen.
Were a small team doing everything we can and this effort is truly grassroots so know that your support goes a long way.
What We Need & What You Get
Your contributions will help:
Buy copies of the TWO SPIRITS
DVD to be distributed to libraries,
nonprofit organizations for use in their programs, tribal organizations,
colleges and universities. Weve got a long list of organizations standing by to
receive copies provided by viewers. Thank you for expanding the reach of the
film in this important way.
We'd love to be able to tell you exactly how many DVD's your contribution will provide, but the number varies based on the needs of the organization and whether they are individual copies, educational copies or rights for public screenings.
Well post where the DVDs go on the official "Two Spirit Outreach" map to show the reach of the film at the www.twospirits.org website.
contribution to these education and outreach efforts will help our
nationwide campaign to encourage social inclusion and acceptance and to
put an end to violence and discrimination against the LGBT
community--one connection at a time.
Fund the special project of having our brilliant outreach coordinator Selina work with the PBSIndependent Lens team to analyze their data to find the places in the country where the film was not broadcast and to work to establish special screenings and other outreach efforts specifically in those areas. 90% of the country will be reached by PBS stations but that still leaves 10% untouched. These places are probably some of the communities that need TWO SPIRITS the most.
Selina can be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to contact her to share your ideas for expanding this effort in creative ways we havent thought oflets put our collective energy behind figuring out how to make more and better use of TWO SPIRITS.
Other Ways You Can Help
The reach and length of time of this expanded education and outreach initiative will depend on the level of contribution, and well let you know what you specifically have made possible and provide updates to you.
Lydia Nibley, on behalf of the film team