Our Fundraising Campaign
What Is It?
Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is a book and outreach project intended to improve the lives of trans and gender nonconforming people. The book itself is a resource guide that brings together writing by prominent authors on the broad, multidimensional spectrum of trans and gender nonconforming identity, as well as on health, legal, cultural and social questions, history, theory, and more… all for the support of transgender, gender nonconforming, and gender-questioning people, their partners and families, students, professors, guidance counselors, providers, and others. It is being published by Oxford University Press in Spring, 2014.
What Do You Get For Your Donation?
Here’s what’s in it for you. At various donation levels you will receive:
• Copies of the book for yourself, friends, or family members.
• A Transgender History E-book written by our history chapter author, Genny Beemyn, Director of the Stonewall Center at the University of Massachusetts. Due to space limitations, their chapter had to be shortened for the full book. Don't miss out on the full history of trans communities in the U.S.!
• The opportunity to donate books to individuals and organizations that would not otherwise be able to afford it.
And at all donation levels, from $1 to $1000, you get the warm fuzzy validation of knowing you helped get the book into the hands of those in need.
Where is the Money Going?
Glad you asked.
· First, to cover expenses incurred during the four-year production leading up to publication including our web designer, two illustrators, and a professional editor, all of whom offered their services at reduced rates, and were necessary to logistically get the book done and in print.
· Second, and more importantly, to support a national outreach project to improve the lives of trans and gender nonconforming people. This project will expand on the publication of the book by enabling us to offer the book at reduced or no cost to individuals unable to pay, to schools, libraries, community centers, and other support services. Also, the project will focus on the education of providers, community and online forums for the exchange of information and for support, to be a visible presence at national conferences, and to produce ongoing editions of the book as issues evolve.
A breakdown of costs for this campaign
(if $50k goal is met with estimates of books purchased):
$14k – professional editor, web design, illustrators
$16k – purchasing (700) books to fulfill perks
$3.5k – shipping
$5k – indiegogo fees
…which would mean $11.5k would go toward donating books to community organizations (nearly 600 books – in the hands of trans people around the country). And even more if we make over our goal.
Trans Bodies, Trans Selves has involved four years of work from hundreds of authors, contributors, advisors, editors, and volunteers who donated their time out of a desire to serve the trans and gender nonconforming community. Other than the four people listed above, none of those involved are being compensated for their efforts. The 50+ authors, especially, deserve recognition for the significant energy and expertise they have put into this project. We wish we could pay them all what they deserve, but any amount would be minimal if shared among all. Any profits from the book once it is released this spring will be funneled into the non-profit and fulfilling its mission of education and sharing resources – most immediately, getting this book into the hands of those who cannot afford it.
Additionally, Oxford does not make any money from the fundraising and does not require that we raise money as a condition of publishing the book.
It is especially important to us that the money raised through the support of our community and allies all be directed back to supporting the community itself.
What is This Book Donation Campaign of Which You Speak?
Our primary goal is to donate or sell reduced cost copies of the Trans Bodies, Trans Selves book to individuals in need, schools, libraries, LGBTQ/Queer community centers, GSAs, and social service organizations. Through money raised by donations, we are able to purchase the book from Oxford at a significant discount, and in turn get it to those in need at greatly reduced rates or even free. If we make our goal on indiegogo we will be able to donate hundreds of books. We negotiated with Oxford to get the lowest cover price possible so that the most people could afford the book. However, the book is large, with over 20 chapters, and could not be sold for lower than $39.95. We also plan to offer reduced price copies at conferences. If you know of organizations that could benefit from donated books, please contact email@example.com.
Non-Profit or Not Non-Profit?
Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is incorporated in New York State and is currently pending non-profit status. It is likely, but not guaranteed, that donations will be retroactively tax deductible when our non-profit status becomes official. We will be sending donation letters via email to all donors who give $250 or more. If you contribute less than this, you can claim deductions on your taxes without a letter.
So How Does it Get From Us to You?
Carrier pigeon, Pony Express, or silver-platter-carrying personal courier?
Shipping within the U.S. is included in book orders. We would love to get the book to people outside the U.S. but shipping price is less predictable. If you would like your book(s) shipped outside the U.S., please contact us about shipping price and we will add it to your total.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank You for Your Support!
It is our deepest hope that this book, and the project happening around it, make a major impact in improving the lives of trans and gender nonconforming people, our families, our communities, and the world at large… and we want to thank everyone so much for your support.
Team on This Campaign:
Get the book out to everyone who could benefit!