TouchBase Business Cards: Business Cards. Reinvented.
**Update: We've reached our goal, but we're going to keep pushing! Order away!**
TouchBase Business Cards are what business cards would be if they were invented today. Paper business cards are an entrenched part of business etiquette but are slow and cumbersome as a way to obtain contact information. New solutions that have tried to solve this problem have not caught on because they either tried to completely eliminate business cards (Bump), did not realize the importance of the look and feel of business cards (QR codes), face limited compatibility (NFC cards), or remain slow and riddled with errors (CardMunch, other card-scanning apps).
Our solution is a new technology that both preserves the traditional look and feel of business cards, but adds more features that make the exchange of contact information more useful and more efficient.
Our technology leverages the capacitive touch capabilities in touchscreen smartphones, which unlike NFC, is compatible with iPhones. Our paper cards are embedded with conductive material that that mimic finger touches when tapped onto the screen. This allows for the instant and accurate download of contact information that is stored in the cloud.
Even more, our card reader is a web app that requires no download from the App Store. (Please note that our web app is currently compatible with iPhones only. We plan to expand compatibility to other devices with more time and resources!)
This technology also gives us the opportunity to introduce other useful features. TouchBase Business Cards:
- Make it easier for others to connect with you: With one tap of your card, they can email you, call you, connect with you on LinkedIn, and follow you on Twitter. Next time they need to reach you, they know where to find you
- Share more information than ever before: People should not have to go on a wild goose chase to get the information they need. Upload brochures, videos, photos, and links and make it all accessible in one place.
- Update your information anytime: Whether you've changed companies or simply want to update your profile picture, your contacts will be notified with any changes.
- Track who has tapped your card: Use your business card as a CRM tool. Assess customer interest and track sales leads with tap data.
You Might've Heard Of Us Before...We are a team from MIT, and we graduated from the DreamIt Ventures Accelerator Program in 2013. Following the program's Demo Day (View our pitch here), our technology was featured as a top pick in many publications, including TechCrunch, Business Insider, VentureBeat, and BetaBeat. More recently, our business card product was featured in The Wall Street Journal, Fox Business Network, Gizmodo, Mashable, and The Boston Globe.
WSJ video (thanks to Joanna Stern @JoannaStern):
Fox Business Network Interview:
Mashable Vine (thanks to Rebecca Hiscott @rebeccahiscott):
- WSJ: The Business Card Cannot Be Killed
- Fox Business: Business Looks To Make Business Cards Digital
- Gizmodo: Your Smartphone's Touchscreen Can Read These Magical Business Cards
- Mashable: High-tech Business Cards Digitize Contact Info With a Tap
- Boston.com: TouchBase tries (one more time) to reinvent the business card
- Boston Magazine: It's The Revival Of The Business Card
- TechCrunch: Our Picks from DreamIt Ventures' NYC Demo Day
- Business Insider: Here Are Our Five Favorite Startups That Debuted In NYC Today
- BetaBeat: Here's a Rundown of DreamIt New York Demo Day 2013
- VentureBeat: TouchBase - An NFC Alternative You Might Actually Use
Who is this for?
- For salespeople: assess customer interest and identify strong sales leads more easily and make follow-ups more efficient
- For artists: share your art portfolio instantly
- For real estate agents: share galleries of properties you manage
- For students: share your resumes and cover letters with recruiters
- For academics: share your publications and credentials with others in your field
- For startups: share videos and pitch decks with investors
- For businesses: share brochures, catalogs, menus, promotions and automatically push updates to customers
- March - after the campaign is successfully funded, we will send out links to create your own account, upload contact information, and to design or upload your card design
- April - The cards will go into production. Designs need to be submitted by the beginning of April to ensure delivery by May.
- May - cards shipped
You can help us in other ways as well!
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TouchBase_Tech
Like Our Page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/touchbasetechnologies