TO FIND HAPPY... Two Readings in 2013!!
Two years ago, Brenda Jean Foley and Scott Sowinski wanted to work on a project together. Inspired by a conversation with director Terry Berliner, we conceived an original musical and enlisted emerging composers and lyricists whose work we admire. TO FIND HAPPY was born.
TO FIND HAPPY follows New Yorkers (portrayed by a cast of six) as they wrestle with the pursuit of happiness. A cynic meets an optimist at Strawberry Fields. One couple celebrates their engagement while a second is almost torn apart by wedding planning. A Broadway actress struggles with work/life balance. A stand-up from Ohio tries to relate to the Big Apple.... and more.
After two self-produced readings (in Chicago and NYC) and a rough demo recording, the show has been reworked and is ready for its next steps. So...
Class 6 theatre company (a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization) is hosting a READING at the MESA ARTS CENTER, (Tuesday, February 19th, 7:30) which will be followed by the EAT Theatre Festival for New Work in NYC (March 21st, 9pm, Tada! Theater, 15 W. 28th Street, NYC).
We believe TO FIND HAPPY has the potential to move and delight audiences who love shows like THE FANTASTICKS and ALMOST, MAINE or movies like LOVE, ACTUALLY. Our creative team has the professional connections and experience to ensure our 2013 developmental readings put the show on the path to its first full production.
WHAT WE NEED
A musical consists of MANY moving parts. We really need your support to fund our readings this year! Here's an approximate breakdown of our costs:
- Personnel: $3,000
- Airline tickets: $1,200
- Hotel: $500
- Rehearsal space: (at least) $500
- Photocopying scripts and scores: $150
- Other incidental costs (facility fees, piano tuning/rental, etc.): $150
- Fund-raising fees: 6-9% (Indiegogo & credit card fees)
If your generosity is beyond our wildest hopes and expectations, we'll be able to fund our NEXT step... a professional demo recording to shop the show to theatres and producers across the country: $5,000-$10,000
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
You could be one of the first people in the world to have TO FIND HAPPY songs on your iPod. You could get a reserved seat at one of our readings, a box of homemade cookies (and Brenda can bake!), even a VIP invitation to drinks with members of the creative team. All of this, plus a tax deduction!
YOU'RE IN GOOD HANDS
Check out our collaborators' websites (links below) for the full story... but here are some highlights:
- Terry Berliner (director) has worked on and off-Broadway and has a passion for developing new work
- Kristen Lee Rosenfeld (music director/composer/lyricist) conducted the first national tour of SPRING AWAKENING
- Our composer/lyricists' collective body of work has countless accolades, including raves from the New York Times and TimeOut Chicago, showcases at Lincoln Center, NYMF, and off-Broadway runs
- Class 6 (producing sponsor) was born and has thrived in the Phoenix area through the toughest fiscal climate of our generation to produce challenging and intimate theatre including many Arizona and world premieres
Please share this campaign with everyone you know who loves musical theatre and wants to contribute to its future. We promise it will make you happy!
PRODUCING THEATRE: Class 6
- Terry Berliner, Director (NY)
- Megan Weaver, Director (AZ)
- Kristen Lee Rosenfeld, Mus. Director
- Brenda Jean Foley & Scott Sowinski: Co-Conceivers
Elizabeth Brownlee, Brenda Jean Foley, Craig McEldowney, Chelsea Pace, Scott Sowinski, Toby Yatso
- Joel Adlen
- Sam Davis
- Jared Eberlein
- Andrew Edwards
- Brenda Jean Foley
- Alisa Hauser
- Diana Lawrence
- Brett Macias
- David Mallamud
- Kristen Lee Rosenfeld
- Luanne Rosenfeld