About the Project
Our vision is to provide the NBLN (News By Locals Network) at no cost to small communities in the US and Canada. The network will be 100% web based with autonomous individual web sites for each participating community. We will provide the infrastructure and the websites and individuals from the local communities will provide the content. There will be no charge for the service.
Who Are We?
We are a small group of programmers with over 25 years of combined experience developing and programming web sites. We will need to contract out some of the programming and design work in order to complete the project in a timely manner. Read Bryant Harper's profile for more detailed infrormation.
We have what it takes to bring NBLN to fruition but we will need some financial assistance. That's why we're here on Indigogo.
What is it?
- News web sites maintained by local people for local people. The goal is to provide access to local information on a timely basis by enlisting the help of the people in the area. The target is primarily small towns with no local TV news or daily news papers.
- Anyone in the local area will be able to logon and upload or enter news stories including images and video.
- The sites will not be limited to just news. They will also include upcoming events, civic functions such as meetings, local school functions such as sports and fairs, etc., Local Government functions, classifieds and more.
How will we do it?
We will develop the first web site as a stand-alone small community local news site like http://www.paysonroundup.com/ . (It’s our local newspaper’s web site.)
We will then write the programs to make it a self-replicating site, the blog sites are a good example of this. Bryant has experience in creating and programming these types of web sites.
We will recruit one Primary Editor for each web site/location. Web sites will be activated upon selection of a Primary Editor for a given location. The entire US and Canada are available with population restrictions. The nearest town must have at least 10,000 residents to qualify for consideration to become the local editor.
The NBLN web sites will be advertiser-supported using a combination of national advertisers served through a service such as GoogleAds and local advertisers.
Each Primary Editor will participate in the revenue stream generated by their local site.
We will manage both local and national advertisements but the local Editor will be encouraged through his/her compensation to sell local advertising.
Why do we need it?
A few months ago my wife and I moved to a small town in the Arizona mountains. Our business is on the internet and has been for over 15 years so we can pretty much live where we please and we love it here. The downside is we are somewhat isolated from what is currently happening in and around our community as we are about three miles outside of town.
One recent morning we heard sirens in the distance. They continued off and on for a few hours and never seemed to get any closer to us. We were very curious what was going on because we live in an area where forest fires are a concern.
I’m sure somebody with internet access knew what was going on and could have posted details and perhaps a video to a local news site for those of us who didn’t want to wait for the weekly local paper.
Where will the money go?
- To establish the necessary hardware and connectivity infrastructure, we will contract a dedicated server under a managed hosting agreement. We will probably use either Alchemy or Rack Space, both are tier one hosting providers.
- To develop the necessary programming to manage and deploy the community web sites on a simi-automated basis.
- To pay a professional designer to develop logos and other graphics to be uesd on the web sites and in print media.
- Any funds remaining will be used to advertise the NBLN services.
Other ways you can help.
If a financial contribution isn't possible for you right now, you can still help. We welcome all the help we can get just spreading the word. You can email friends, post it to Facebook, Twitter and any other social networks you use.......whatever you feel is appropriate to do. Indiegogo has some great share tools that make it easy.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
News By Locals is a BigHits Company
Founder - Editor