"While most people see technology as something that disturbs the mind, I see it as a tool that can help us develop mindfulness and compassion."
For many years I've been passionate about using technology to spread the practice of Buddhist meditation. I've been invited to become a Google Glass Explorer, and need funds to help me do this.
- I've been teaching meditation since the late 1980s.
- My website, Wildmind, has 1.5 million visitors each year. All the content is free.
- I established the first website (http://www.wildmind.org) that gave detailed guidance on how to meditate.
- I've been running online meditation courses since 2002.
- I started using Skype videoconferencing for meditation classes as soon as it was available...
- ...then switched to using Google+ Hangouts.
- Some of our meditation hangouts are posted on Youtube.
- I've developed a Wildmind iPhone app which has been submitted to iTunes and should be available soon.
- I have a warm and supportive Google+ Community where people discuss their meditation practice and give each other support and encouragement
This year I applied to try Google Glass, the new wearable computing product. Google accepted my application. But it costs $1500 plus tax...
I'm excited to explore how Glass can be used to teach meditation. So far I've thought of the following applications:
- Sharing experiences from retreats and classes with a wider audience, using videoconferencing.
- Recording talks and guided meditations.
- Showing how mindfulness can be practiced in daily life situations.
- Interviewing meditators.
- Leading guided meditations from anywhere.
- Recording notes for blog posts.
The most exciting thing, though, is exploring ways that an app could be used as a mindfulness tool -- sending you reminders throughout the day to remind you of specific intentions that you've set. Once the concept's been worked out, that will be the focus of our next crowdfunding project. While most people see technology as something that disturbs the mind, I see it as a tool that can help us develop mindfulness and compassion.
What We Need & What You Get
- Glass costs $1500 plus tax ($1633 in total).
- As perks, I'm offering free guided meditation MP3s, CDs, and some personal coaching in meditation, using videoconferencing, although if you live in New Hampshire we could do that face to face.
- If we don't raise the full amount we'll put whatever we do get toward purchasing Glass.
You'll be helping me to use a completely new communication tool in my teaching. You'll be establishing the groundwork for the development of an app that may dramatically change the way people practice.
I assume you are well aware of the power that meditation has to change people's lives for the better. You'll be helping to amplify my ability to reach people.
I'm a person who makes things happen. Wildmind.org is immensely popular and does a huge amount to help people develop and deepen a meditation practice. We publish guided meditation MP3s and CDs and then plow those funds back into our outreach efforts. It's amazing how much we manage to achieve on a shoestring budget. Having access to this new technology will make a difference.
You can help.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people can’t contribute financially, but that doesn’t mean you can’t help:
- Please spread the word on your blog, on Facebook, Twitter, Google+.
- Please use the Indiegogo share tools!
Thank you for reading! Let's make mindfulness and compassion happen!
Team on This Campaign: