Short SummaryHello, my name is Ruby Veridiano, and I'm a writer, speaker, media personality, social entrepreneur, and a long time advocate for the Asian-American community. I first created the Glamourbaby Diaries because of my frustration with the lack of positive Asian female role models in mainstream media, and I wanted create a non-profit organization that serves, mentors, and gives young women of color the opportunity to find role models that reflect their personal history.
Why It Matters
These statistics are a daunting reality that young Asian-American women need the inspiration and support to become tomorrow’s leaders. (taken from CNN article “Sucide in Asian American Women”, Fast Company article “League of Extraordinary Women”, and the film Miss Representation :
- One study has shown that as young as the fifth grade, Asian-American girls have the highest rate of depression so severe they’ve contemplated suicide.
- Asian-American women ages 15-24 have the highest suicide rate of women in any race or ethnic group in that age group. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for Asian-American women in that age range.
- Because Asian women grow up with few role models in mainstream media that look like them, they consider themselves “ugly” and strive for an unrealistic standard of beauty, contributing to their susceptibility for depression.
- Women hold only 3% of clout positions in the mainstream media (telecommunications, entertainment, publishing and advertising).
- Women comprise 7% of directors and 13% of film writers in the top 250 grossing films.
- The number of cosmetic surgical procedures performed on youth 18 or younger more than tripled from 1997 to 2007.
- 65% of American women and girls report disordered eating behaviors.
- If you train a woman in a particular skill and give her a microloan, or a way to build up some savings, she is more likely than a man to use her income to educate and care for her family and invest in the community.
What We Need
The $6,000 will be used as seed funding in order to re-launch the program in various schools throughout California. The money raised will be used for any travel costs, program materials, space rentals, etc. *Priority will be given to schools in underserved communities.
What You GetCheck out the perks! Many of them are from incredible female entrepreneurs who embody style and purpose. In other words, they are fellow Glamourbabies! I am proud to partner with other women who are pursuing their passions and dreams, all while maintaining integrity, and giving back.
The ImpactYour support will begin the creation of a non-profit organization and propel the goal of this program: to create an inspiring and provocative space for young women to explore their identity and assert their voices in the public sphere. The program focuses on the personal development of future female leaders, thinkers, and writers, providing participants with tools to strengthen the expression of their opinions and ideas. We hope to create opportunities for them to better represent themselves in their families, schools, and communities.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't donate please help by spreading the campaign info to your network, telling at least 5-10 of your friends makes a big difference! Use the hashtag #glamourbaby to get in on the conversation.
Thank you so much for your support!