ABOUT THE PROJECT
(Please watch the trailer above.)
The ehMTee Show is a homegrown, cross-platform, webcast variety program of original songs, music interpretations and light comedy. In this pilot episode, guests include the composer Mantler, as well as Gemini award-winning comic writer Paul Bellini (This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Fab Magazine, Kids In The Hall) and Canadian comedy legend, Scott Thompson (Kids In The Hall, The Larry Sanders Show, Hannibal), performing together for the first time in 12 years.
The idea for The ehMTee Show stemmed from Michael Thorner's desire to share and showcase with people music he has been writing for over a decade. The decision was made to use interactive technology to webcast a show from Thorner's apartment. On the night of March 20, 2011, streamed live and compressed on Ustream, Michael shared with his social network his own compositions, as well as interpretations of songs by other composers that Michael believes are standards, or should be considered standards.
An HD camera was placed next to Michael's webcam, and a mixing board at the table beside his piano keyboard. Friends who came also recorded moments with their own mobile phones and cameras. The concept of The ehMTee Show is based on what was captured on that "almost" magical night.
We see this first episode as a new form of cross-platform entertainment. It is part event webcast, part music diary, a celebration of music, a variety show, and a live concert documentary of what happened one night when some friends got together and shared what it is they love to do best.
We would like to share this product with you, and extend the experience with more shows in the future.
Please contribute what you can, so we can move forward with this initiative!
ABOUT MICHAEL THORNER
Michael Thorner is a creative professional with over two decades of experience working as a strategic cross-platform content producer and strategist in media, entertainment and culture. At Sony Music Canada, Michael worked for artists as diverse as Céline Dion, Leonard Cohen, Glenn Gould and Chantal Kreviazuk to building their online presence. He then enjoyed a long tenure building and growing the interactive brand at the Toronto International Film Festival. Michael is a published illustrator, with clients as diverse as The Toronto Star, Chatelaine, Cargo Cosmetics, The Ottawa Citizen, Nelvana, ScotiaMcLeod and Constellation Brands. Michael is a strong team player with broad exposure to an array of fundamental units including but not limited to communications, public relations and strategic interactive marketing. His most recent project, The ehMTee Show, is a homegrown, cross-platform, webcast variety program of original songs, music interpretations, and light comedy.
THE CAST FOR THE PILOT EPISODE
- Michael Thorner, piano, vox, composer
- Mantler, musical guest
- The grand reunion of Mouth Congress, featuring Paul Bellini and Scott Thompson
- Alex Cheung, violin
- Kirk Hudson, percussion
- Warren Phillips, guitar
- With: Sam Chungyampin, Roel Torres, Mark Hart
- Sound Engineer: Mikhial Gurarie
Here is a live performance of POINT EDWARD FAIR, from the show.
(See more images from the show by clicking on the Gallery tab above!)
GOALS: YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THIS CAMPAIGN WILL:
- Assist us in obtaining music licence clearances for the 3 cover song interpretations performed (Something True, For The Good Times, I'll Be There)
- Help with performance and technician fees, bandwidth, cd/dvd packaging, shipping etc.
- Help fuel and extend our strategic audience growth development plan. We would like to submit this work to independent music festivals and interactive film festivals for consideration
- Cover past and future fees that are necessary to bring this film to completion: editing, sound mixing, post-production, including special effects
- Help us create a variety show experience product: a tribute to the past, set in the present, with a lens towards the digital future
Everything is almost ready to go. All we need is a little help from you! Every dollar will go towards the physical and digital release of the show, including final post-production and mastering. We are asking for your help to make this independent release happen. We are deeply grateful for your support! We can't wait for you to see and hear the complete show, in HD and with prestine sound!
STRETCH GOALS, FUTURE DREAMS
We would like to create future episodes of The ehMTee Show, holding onto—and perhaps expanding upon—the format begun in the pilot.
Additional funds would allow us to move forward on the production of a projected sequel show in spring/summer 2013.
Future episodes will include:
- Premieres of new music compositions by Michael Thorner and the Must We Wait Forever Band
- An interactive showcase for a cool musical guest
- An interactive showcase for a comedy guest
- More goofy illustrations by Michael Thorner in each episode!
- A "What's Mike Reading" discussion segment
- Surprise appearances!
- A new, different show environment each episode, eg. new venue, soundstage, etc.
- And so much more!
A NOTE ABOUT SHIPPING
Our Indiegogo prices include shipping and handling. Those who pledge $25 and over will receive their physical products in the mail by the end of April 2013.
PLEASE FOLLOW US
WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE, PLEASE HELP US TO GET THE WORD OUT AND MAKE SOME NOISE ABOUT OUR CAMPAIGN BY SHARING THIS PAGE WITH YOUR ENTIRE NETWORK! THE MORE EYEBALLS, THE BETTER! USE THE HANDY SHARE TOOLS BELOW! THANK YOU!