Hi! I want to take you to Gencon!
Virtually, that is.
I'm Ben McFarland. I'm a freelance RPG designer. I won the 2012 Ennie for Best Adventure for the anthology Streets of Zobeck. But this isn't about me writing an RPG project. I think it's cooler.
You see, I've been chosen as a Glass Explorer. Why? This is what I told them:
"If I had Glass, I'd take it to #Gencon to document the whole experience, rotating it through different attendees, cosplayers, and participants to create a diverse, comprehensive 7x24 record of the event and community. I'd want to share the whole gamut of card, board, story, live-action and tabletop games. #ifihadglass"
And I want to do that. I want to glass the whole thing from the road trip out to the check-in to the industry awards to the dealer room to the gaming tables. Because Gencon is awesome. It is an absolute blast and a wonderful experience, and I think it would be great to share that with folks who can't make it.
But I need some help.
Help Live the Dream.
Really, I need two things:
- $1500 for the Glass Device
- Wifi costs to plug into the Convention Center's network
- 9% for IndieGoGo
And really, that's it. Sure, there's some other stuff I can put together on stretch goals, but this is about showing the world what it's like to go to Gencon!
- What happens if I don't make the goal? Well, I'll take the funds that I do get and put them towards Glass. If I don't hit 60%, I'll donate the money the the Gary Gygax Memorial Fund. If they're all set, I'll give it to the Wounded Warrior project.
- If I blow this thing out of the water? Great! Then I make sure I have Glass and the wifi at the convention center (it was expensive last year!), any bonuses we agree on, and maybe my train ticket down to NYC to get the device. I'm not making money on this. That's not the plan.
I'm going to Gencon, no matter what. None of these funds will be used to offset my trip to the convention, I think that's important to point out. The ticket's bought, the reservation's made, the car's ready to roll and I've got the dice bag packed. This is a question of whether or not you're coming with me. Virtually.
What's In it for me?
Do you wonder what that dealer room looks like? What the town is like? What it's like to play a game there or run a game or try a demo? What's the cosplay like?
- I will show you! I plan on opening up my schedule to backers and letting a select few pick my games in some slots. If I can't get the ticket, then I'll go watch, and stream it as a hangout on air!
- Do you want some swag? Sure! I'm driving! I can pick up a t-shirt, a catalog, whatever (within reason) and send it your way!
- Want me to go look at something specific? I'll do it, and make sure you're tagged on the post.
- Want a panel recorded? I can make that happen-- and if I can't then I'll make sure someone else can.
And here's the thing-- I've been a freelancer for a while now. I've gotten to meet a lot of folks. I'm going to see if I can't set up some stretch goals where I do stuff like talk with Wolfgang Baur or other RPG industry pros. Do you have questions for them? I can ask! Do you want me to show something to the Internet with Glass? Sounds like a plan! Heck, I'm already a presenter at the Ennies!
If we hit things high enough, and folks want it, I know some folks who can do some nice editing bits, cleaning up what I record and making it purty. But that's out there. For now, let's go see the show together!
What about Afterwards? Will you call?
Well, after Gencon (and probably before Gencon) I'll use Glass to review the local comic book shops, FLGS, and maybe even post some actual play sessions from the local Pathfinder Society, Game-a-thons, Friday Night Magic, and D&D Encounters. I want to use Glass to show people what fun gaming can be.
How else can you help?
Really, all I'm looking for is the chance to share Gencon! If you want to see it, let me know! Become a backer! Use the social media of your choice and let's bring Gencon to your screen!
Got an idea for a perk? Let me know, and we'll get it sorted!
The Man Who Makes the Magic Happen