Stay current on launch news and ordering options:
Well, here we are at the end of our crowdfunding campaign. And, in spite of the published fundraising goals, it has been an incredibly successful start for us! Just 60 days ago, there were very few people in the world that knew the Centipede Sawhorse even existed. A lot has changed in those 60 days and there is no stopping us now. The Centipede Sawhorse will soon be in production and it won’t be much longer before they are available in a store near you.
In the 60 days of this campaign, we’ve built up a nifty little resume. It may not be much, but we're pretty proud of what we’ve all accomplished together in such a short time. Thank you to everyone who supported us. It has been amazing!
- 16,633 views of Centipede Sawhorse related videos on Vimeo and YouTube
- 479 followers on Twitter
- 159 friends on Facebook
Our campaign has:
- been on the front page of the design category at Indiegogo since the early days of the campaign
- over 1,600 likes on Facebook (!)
- 485 tweets/retweets (and I *know* some are missing)
- 46 plus ones
- enough campaign views to make our page view stat “temporarily unavailable” for the last month
- 9,946 referrals (!)
112 backers purchasing a total of $13,480
- 78 Centipede Sawhorse Kits
84 Centipede PRO Sawhorse Kits
- 1 of which will be donated to Habitat for Humanity
We will be shipping Centipede Sawhorses to:
- Belgium, Spain, Mexico, Canada and the U.S.
- 35 states and provinces in all
While we’re delighted to see this outpouring of support, the worldwide exposure we got is incredible!
- The Centipede was featured on:
- Distributors have contacted us from the UK, Scandinavia, Iraq, South Africa, Canada, Australia and the U.S.
- We have some irons in the fire so to speak, just nothing concrete to announce at the moment. Keep an eye on our web site for regular updates.
- We have a few venture capitalists watching us on Twitter and have been taking some calls
The ingenuity of the Centipede Sawhorse has been recognized by many and now it is only a matter of time before it can speak for itself on job sites and home improvement projects around the world.
Thank you for taking part in the development of this product. We appreciate all that you do for us.
The Centipede Tool Team
Right idea - Right time
As the housing market rebounds a seasoned tool inventor is bringing another incredible product idea to market. Described as a revolution in sawhorse evolution, the potential for this product to find its way onto contractor job sites and into garages and workshops is substantial. The first product developed since leaving the corporate world, the inventor is incredibly passionate about this product and you can help make it a reality by pre-ordering a Centipede Sawhorse from the first production run today.
A portion of the profits from the sale of every Centipede Sawhorse in this campaign and beyond will help to fund regular donations of our products to Habitat for Humanity!
- Support thin materials without sagging - Clean cuts, no breaking
- Includes accessories to hold boards in place - 2 person job becomes easy for 1
Job Site Workbench Base
- Mobile homebase - A place for important stuff and important stuff in its place
- Multiple work stations - Sawhorse at one end, bench top power tool at the other
- Working Jig - Affix a jig to temporary bench top for repeatable cuts
Compact, Portable Table Base
- Fast setup and compact transport - Perfect for farmers' market vendors, caterers and tradeshows.
- Table space anywhere, anytime - Garage sales, potlucks, and space for fixins at the backyard BBQ.
"The Centipede Sawhorse is a foldable worktable that looks like a great traditional sawhorse replacement."
"…an interesting and promising new spin on the sawhorse, allowing for cutting, improvised tables, and more, all with compact convenience."
"Incredible!" "Wait 'til Home Depot gets a hold of this sucker!"
"EHT fans, go check out this wonderful new product, read all about this great new sawhorse"
"I think the Centipede would make a wonderful workpiece support, and hope the project is fully funded so that the product makes its way to stores."
"The Centipede Sawhorse is a completely unique design that folds up to be compact, yet provides support for a full 4' x 8' sheet with 15 points of contact."
"...a revolutionary new sawhorse alternative... The 'Centipede Sawhorse' has a ton of uses both in the shop and out!"
"New interpretation of the sawhorse"
"A Remarkable Handyman’s Tool... The latest clever invention to seek crowdsourced support... a positive boon to guys who work with wood, siding, or anything that needs to be braced or held in place.
A revolution in sawhorse evolution, the Centipede Sawhorse is the ultimate work support system - A heavy duty portable table base that sets up in 3 seconds with no assembly and folds down into a compact, lightweight unit for easy transport and convenient storage.
Featuring a unique patented steel frame design, the Centipede has many points of contact that can support an incredible amount of weight while keeping even the thinnest sheet material from sagging. Each point of contact is constructed of nested steel tubing that rests directly between the load and the ground for maximum support. Flat steel cross beams are flexible enough to absorb impact yet sturdy enough to keep each point of contact moving in tandem.
Atop each point is a durable molded polymer P-Top that prevents damage to the load, saw blades or the Centipede. In the event of a misguided cut, the replaceable P-Top will prevent the cutting blade from hitting the steel frame of the Centipede. Each P-Top spins 360 degrees to provide maximum positioning flexibility for the included or other accessories.
The Centipede Sawhorse is available in two sizes, the PRO version which supports sheet materials and table tops up to 4’ by 8’ and a DIY version that is 2’ by 4’. Each kit includes Bench Clamps designed to keep materials in place and X-Cups that conveniently accommodate standard 2 x 4 boards for quick cuts.
Features & benefits of the Centipede Sawhorse
Specifications and model comparison
Centipede DIY Sawhorse Kit Specs
Centipede PRO Sawhorse Kit Specs
2 feet x 4 feet
Center to Center
4 feet x 8 feet
Center to Center
5.75 inches x 9 inches
9 inches x 14 inches
~ 10 pounds
~ 30 pounds
|Included Bench Clamps|
At this time, we are unable to provide a specific weight capacity of either unit. We know for a fact that the prototype version of the DIY unit holds well over 500 pounds without the slightest hint of stress, but won't make actual capacity claims until we've had it UL tested.
Setting up the Centipede
Setting up the Centipede takes approximately 3 seconds and requires absolutely no tools. It will come fully assembled and ready to use.
It will probably take you longer to make your first cut than you did setting up for it! How cool is that?
Potential uses of the Centipede
A couple weekends before this campaign started, we met up at the inventor's house to contemplate the prototype unit and how to show its versatility. In a day, we used the Centipede as a:
(Mouseover the links below or check out the gallery tab at the top of this page.)
- Set of standard traditional sawhorses with two 2x4s as long points of contact.
- Dual job site work center with a traditional sawhorse application at one end and a miter saw set up at the other end.
- Better sawhorse to cut some floppy paneling. What was once a two man job (cutter and hold-in-placer) has become one!
- Drywall measuring, marking and cutting station.
- Job site home base workbench.
- Painting station, because its better to stain scrap plywood than a treasured work bench.
- Working jig to make consistently sized boards all day long. (Thanks to Bob K. from the video for bringing that one to our attention!)
- Gardening station, because spending hours on your hands and knees can be brutal!
- Garage sale display table.
- Tailgatin' station. You ever try bringing a picnic table to the stadium? 'Nuff said.
- Pedestal for over 500 pounds of man. The tabletop board strained under our weight, but the prototype unit did not! You could hear our sighs of relief from miles away. (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.)
Other uses we've imagined but didn't have a chance to photograph include:
- Caterering/potluck/banquet tables
- Theatrical set designer's best friend
- Tradeshow displays
- Campsite table
- Farmer's and Flea Markets
Contact us at email@example.com
Trust is earned over time. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury in our relationship with you. It is important to remember that we're not asking for long term investments in our success. We're simply asking you to believe we're up to the task of picking out a capable tooling manufacturer, finding a reliable production facility and placing an order with both. We've already proven the design with an incredibly durable working prototype model and we are confident of this product's success.
Together we have over 30 years of combined experience in bringing hundreds of products from concept to retail markets around the world. Here's a brief outline of our backgrounds to help you share in our confidence.
With over two decades of experience inventing products in the corporate world that have improved, if not revolutionized the way power tools are used and home projects are completed around the world, Ed is proud to be bringing his favorite invention of all to market.
Ed first started as a machinist where he learned to make all kinds of things with all types of machines and discovered his passion when he invented his first product. After cutting his teeth as a machinist, he became a manufacturing engineer and quickly moved into factory management. Continuing this trajectory of innovation and oversight, he built a few of his own businesses from the ground up and always made himself available to help others cultivate ideas and open businesses of their own. It wasn’t long before Ed accepted a position as the Vice President of R&D at a small hardware company where he was tasked with designing new products, obtaining intellectual property protection, finding and selecting the best factories, supervising tooling development and initial production runs, guiding packaging and marketing materials development and supporting key sales meetings at various retailers around the world.
Suffice it to say, Ed is quite savvy at taking his ideas from the drawing board and getting them on shelves in the marketplace by himself.
...And his trusty sidekick
I am an accomplished marketing manager experienced in bringing hundreds of hardware and specialty chemical products to market in various industrial and retail settings around the world. His focus is on guiding the development of products that exceed consumer expectations while developing programs designed to enhance the profitability of distribution networks and retail outlets. He excels at breaking down technical details to illustrate complex value to all stakeholders throughout the supply chain and maximizing satisfaction at every level.
Complementary skills, extraordinary results
We have the fundamentals in place to have an impact on job sites and home projects everywhere. The Centipede Sawhorse is truly a unique approach to an age old tool and we are extremely excited and prepared to work tirelessly in making this technology available to those who share our perception of its unique value.
Lets not beat around the bush. We're asking you to support our efforts and now is no time to be coy. Here's the deal:
If our savings accounts matched our perseverence, the first time you saw this product would have been on the shelves of your local hardware store or in a late night infomercial. However, we're working men with families to support and we simply don't have the kind of cash it would take to get this project off the ground ourselves.
What we've done so far
Don't get us wrong, we've already got plenty of skin in the game just to prove the concept to ourselves. We're already financially committed to this project in a significant way and have made some key initial investments:
- This product is already utility patent protected.
- The unit used in the photos and video is a prototype unit. In fact, it is the second prototype as we have actually been working on this for quite some time and made a number of key improvements to the design.
- We're creative, but we're not artistic and needed help creating the logo and introductory video that explains the ingenuity of this product better than our words and pictures can.
What we've yet to do
This crowd funding campaign will help us to meet our primary phase one goals.
- Sign enough backers to meet first production run minimums
- Finalize factory audits and select manufacturing partner
- Build tooling/fixtures and oversee production start
- Packaging/distribution to Indiegogo backers
- Point of purchase readiness
- Merchandising for compelling in-store presence
- Packaging, UPC, consumer protection
- Arrange online retail presence
- Demonstration units distributed
- Laboratory testing/load rating
- Point of purchase readiness
Phases three and above include developing additional accessories based on the core technology, sales expenses, and continued promotion. The more backers we get at every stage help us to accomplish our goals more quickly and without timeline interruption. Every pre-order counts and we need your help to build and maintain forward momentum.
What you'll get
We're not ones to ask for handouts and other than our cute $10 perk, we're not accepting donations. All we're doing here is selling units from the first production run. With your pre-orders, we'll be able to fund the tooling and first production run in order to fill the orders we receive. Read through each perk carefully to understand what it is you're purchasing.
UPDATE 7/22/13: We have recently worked out some last minute details to ensure that production of Centipede Sawhorses will begin and we can guarantee our backers will receive their orders regardless of the funds raised during this campaign. However, we still need to raise as much as we possibly can to help reduce transportation costs and cover logistics, order minimums and the next steps of our launch strategy.
We can't say when you'll be able to get your next Centipede Sawhorse from the friendly folks at your local hardware store, so please consider ensuring the earliest possible delivery by pre-ordering yours today.
Help us spread the word!
We need your help to get this party started! Even if you're not excited to own a Centipede Sawhorse of your own, you can still help us find people who are. Tell your friends. Tell your family. Certainly, we're hoping you'll at least tell your social media network. Here's some links to share:
- Share this campaign! (igg.me/at/centipede-sawhorse)
- Share our web site (centipedetool.com)
- Like and share our page on Facebook (facebook.com/pages/Centipede-Tools/489267764460702)
- Thumbs up our YouTube video (youtube.com/watch?v=Lpt2m8_L8rw) and subscribe to our channel (youtube.com/CentipedeTools)
- Follow our Twitter feed (twitter.com/CentipedeTools)
- Add us to your Google+ Circles (plus.google.com/113142852219422898623)
- Pin us on Pinterest(pinterest.com/CentipedeTool)
- And above all, please ask others to do the same!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (575) 208-4266 if you have any questions and we'll get back to you as quickly as we can.
As the campaign enters its final weeks, we've come up with a few opportunities where you can win a FREE Centipede. Here's how:
Support us and win!
WIN A FREE PRO KIT: Everyone who backs us with the "A DIY Kit + Extras" or "A PRO Kit + Extras" will be automatically entered to win a Centipede PRO Sawhorse Kit added onto their order for absolutely free. We'll even cover the additional shipping charges...
Refer the most traffic to our campaign (No purchase necessary!)
WIN A FREE DIY KIT: Indiegogo has a great analytics package that allows us to track who is sending us the most referrals. By following our campaign and using the links provided in the Share Bar (see below), we'll know exactly how many people you've sent to take a look at our campaign. At the end of the campaign, the person with the most referrals will be sent a FREE Centipede DIY Kit!
Contest at Matt's Basement Workshop
The winner is Maria H from Colorado! She won by a landslide with her entry:
"I’m relatively new to woodworking and have not even had a chance to buy a traditional sawhorse. In the past, I was limited by storage space and, in a few desperate moments, I resorted to using my ironing board as a sawhorse. I would like to avoid the whole traditional sawhorse ordeal and just start off right with a Centipede. I’m planning to purchase a Centipede pro or two Centipede DIY’s."
She attached this photo of her current sawhorse:
Cool Tool Shed's August 7th "Workbench Wednesday" Contest
Congratulations to Ed Timper for winning the #WorkbenchWednesday contest on 8/7/13!