Help us to make a home for a veteran in need
Barry B. Standish was a Vietnam Era disabled veteran who lived in his family's homestead until his death in 2011. We are grateful to his sister Mary Ann who decided rather than sell the home, to donate it to an organization serving veterans to help a veteran in need. She found our small all volunteer nonprofit organization and we agreed to take on the project to house a veteran (and family) in need - rent free.
On June 29, 2012, we became owners of the property. A team of airmen from the USAF 314 Recruiting Squadron helped us to take down the kitchen ceiling, a wall in the stairwell, remove the tub, toilet, bathroom and kitchen sinks, cabinets, and clean out the home into a 20 yard dumpster.
Now we are humbly asking for your assistance with financing the renovation in order for it to be liveable.
We have volunteers who can do some of the work, and for some of it we will need to hire licensed professionals - like the plumbing and electric. We have a long list of materials needed, from shingles to a new gas furnace in order to be able to make this a home for someone. We also anticipate the ongoing costs of operating and upkeep of the property.
It's our first veteran's home of what we hope will be many. Will you help us?
Materials and items needed are:
- New roof
- Gas furnace
- Electrician to review/update the wiring for adherence to code
- Kitchen cabinets
- Ceramic fixtures kitchen/bathroom
- Laminate flooring
- Fence around the yard
- Kitchen ceiling repair (sheetrock or suspended)
- Vinyl siding for front of house
- Porch floor repair
- Interior paint / painting too!
Why your help matters
Know that you'll be making a difference in the life of veterans who put their lives on the line for our nation and now need some assistance in reintegrating back into the civilian community.
This summer, over 23,000 service members will return from the war in Afghanistan alone. While 80% return and are able to successfully transition to civilian life on their own, 20% have needs the community can step up to help with. You can help!
How you can be a part of the project
- Buy an engraved 4"X8" brick for the Barry B. Standish Memorial Garden to be constructed on the property in your name, as a gift, or in the memory of someone special. We'll send you a photo of your brick.
- Sponsor the renovation of a room in the home named after anyone you choose. We'll send you a photo of the plaque in the room. (Example only - we promise it will be lovely!)
- Your name (if you choose) will appear on our website page in recognition of your contribution.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Donate any amount at our website and earmark the donation via PayPal - Even $10 will help!
- Share the project via social media - and be sure to follow and like us.
- If you live in the Northeastern PA and want to volunteer your talent to work on the house let us know, there is plenty to do.
- If you can donate materials from the list we would <3 that.
Most of all, thank you for viewing our project profile and considering to help. We are proud to help veterans and deeply appreciate your contribution.
Northeastern Pennsylvania Veterans Multicare Alliance