We are two twenty-three year old women living in Toronto, Canada, intent on creating a web series based on the stories of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. Both of us are recent graduates from Acting programmes, and we have already enlisted the enthusiasm and support of a solid team who are game to help make this project a reality!
Having spent the past year attempting to gain a foothold in theatre in Toronto, we were most dismayed to discover ourselves facing obstacles that didn't seem as persistent or present for our male counterparts. From these experiences, we became more aware of the issues women still face in society today. Through "221B", we hope to present a feminist rendering of universal stories. It is our belief that gender does not define ability, and so, without putting our characters in a vaccuum, we aim to show that women are just as capable of shouldering an awesome story as men are.
Also, Hannah has been a fangirl in the online communities since she could reach a keyboard, and see the screen. For her, this project is very much a passion piece, and she hopes that it will be able to challenge the border between creator and consumer, by offering a new way of displaying the devotion, artistry, and excitement of fans and fandom by extending their ability to contribute to the canon of a series.
Through the process of developing this series, we arrived at four main issues we wanted to address:
1. To demonstrate that stories are universal, regardless of gender
2. To increase the exposure of women, and different sexualities in media
3. To put Toronto on film as itself, instead of an anonymous city
4. To challenge the border between "creator" and "audience"
What We Need & What You Get
- Our goal is to raise $2500! (Of course, we wouldn't turn up our nose at exceeding that goal - the more we raise, the better we can make the final product!)
- That money will be going toward: set, props, wardrobe, filming licenses, camera equipment, lighting, sound, and MOSTLY post-production costs like editing, colour correction, scoring, and sound design.
- What you'll receive in return is:
- A kick-ass web series about one of the most beloved characters of all time, in a way he's never been imagined before.
- An opportunity to contribute to the canon continuation of the series by generating the content that will inform and shape the next season
- The chance to be on the ground floor of a new way of using fan generated content
- Respect, and our eternal gratitude.
- And some AWESOME donation perks!
It is our sincere belief that this project has the potential to change the way fan generated content is received and utilised, as well as giving a greater voice to online communities.
We also strongly believe in the empowering messages of the project, and believe we will be generating a powerful representation of women who are real, honest, flawed, and still interesting, sympathetic agents of their own destinies, as well as helping to create a more visible and positive presence for a variety of sexualities.
Finally, we want to represent Canada, and Toronto in a way that allows it to express a unique identity it is rarely allowed on screen.
Other Ways You Can Help
Obviously, we would be thrilled if you could make a small donation, BUT! There are more ways to be involved than just monetarily.
If you are inspired by our vision, and the possibilities of it, please share your work with us! Send us your art, your fic, your music, your IDEAS!
Follow us on tumblr: http://221b-collective.tumblr.com/
and Twitter: https://twitter.com/221BCollective
and Email us your work at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And please, spread the word! A reblog, retweet, or resend is always appreciated!