Aloha, my name is Elyse Petersen. Last year I began an exploration with my classmate and business partner Jane Gonsowshi into the global tea community. We first studied the feasibility of Hawai‘i developing a globally recognized tea industry. In the process we made many friends and learned that tea propogation and cultivation is one of many feasible solutions for Hawai‘i's food self-sufficiency crisis.
I then spent 4 months living and working with tea farmers in Wazuka, Kyoto, Japan. Here I was exposed to the challenges that independent tea farmers face around the world.
With knowing the opportunity there is for tea to bring people together and to make agriculture profitable I decided I would become a "Global Tea Ambassador" or tea farm advocate.
Since returning to Hawai‘i I have dedicated my time to build a tool that can bridge tea growers and tea drinkers: Tealet.
We can build Tealet together
Here's the things we need:
- engaged community
- sophisticated virtual marketplace that makes the distribution of tea more efficient
- and a little money to help get to the next steps
By utilizing crowdfunding you are able to help us with two of those pieces: community and money. The best part about it is that in return you get to experience some of the best teas the world has to offer!
If we don't reach our ultimate goal there is no need to worry. You still get tea and we will still continue to build Tealet. In fact, the most valuable goal of this campaign, community, will be achieved regardless.
Bridging Tea Growers and Drinkers
Tealet's value will:
- optimize the tea experience for both grower and drinker
- increase economic profit for growers that are struggling to build thriving communities
- expose the US to tea culture direct from the source
Our goal is to make everyone aware of the ecosystem and create trust and transparancy!
If you are interested in supporting this campaign I recommend that you look at our awesome perks for helping. Find the one that is perfect for you:
- $10 - You want to help any way you can. Join our community and Jane and I will personally thank you, and more than likely pour you a cup of tea the next time I see you. Also, we'll add your name to our "Tea Friends" page which will be displayed on Tealet after launch!
- $25 - You want to experience direct from the grower specialty tea in your own home. Join our Global Tea Taster's Club and get prelaunch access to our inaugural tea curation program. We will ship one month's subscription (75g - yields about 75 cups) to your door. Also, we'll add your name to our "Tea Friends" page. *For all contributions made after July 23, 2012 GTT shipments will be sent in October
- $60 - You want to become a Global Tea Taster for a half a year. Enjoy 3 different selections of Tealet teas direct from the grower and take advantage of a discounted rate ($5 savings per shipment). Also, we'll add your name to our "Tea Friends" page.
- $100 - You are the ultimate tea head (or you want to be). Receive 6 shipments of GTT teas from around the world starting in August 2012. This is a great way to explore, learn, and determine your favorite teas ($8 savings per shipment). Also, we'll add your name to our "Tea Friends" page.
- $200 - You want to experience tea for yourself and share. Join our GTT Club for a year and share it with a friend (6 shipments for each of you). This is also great for the office. Also, we'll add your friend's and your name to our "Tea Friends" page.
- $500 - You want the authentic Japanese tea experience. Enjoy your GTT teas throughout the year with the best tea service utensils Japan has to offer. We are currently sourcing handmade kyusus (ceramic teapots) from Tokoname along with tea cups and a few other treats. These world renowned kyusus can usually only be purchased in Japan, but we will be sending them directly to your door. Also, we'll add your name to our "Tea Friends" page.
- $3,500 - You want to experience tea on the farm in HAWAI‘I! See what's brewing in the Hawai‘i Grown Tea industry with all your senses and meet growers that are producing some of the world's most premier teas. This includes roundtrip flight (coach) to and from Hilo, Hawai‘i from the same airport (US destinations only), three nights stay at a 4-star hotel, personal tea farm tours at a variety of tea gardens, and an opportunity to learn with your own hands how tea is grown and processed. This is any tea lovers dream vacation. Also, we'll add your name in big, bold letters to our "Tea Friends" page!
You want to explore teas now?
Tealet is an experimental prototype now in which you can browse, buy, and review teas. Visit our marketplace to see teas from Japan and India. Also, connect with our network through your favorite tool
- Tealet - specialty tea directly from growers
- Email Newsletter
- Facebook Page
- Twitter Feed
- Pinterest Boards
- Google+ Page
The best way you can help us now is to share this campaign with your friends on Facebook and Twitter!
Pure Aloha Blessings!