We're Launching: We Need More Fuel
Tamarack Waldorf High School -- southeastern Wisconsin's first Waldorf High School -- will open to its first 9th grade in Autumn 2014. A collection of educators, parents and administrators has, for many months now, been working very hard in preparation for Opening Day, now only 10 months away!
Tamarack Waldorf High School will be the only Waldorf High School on the North American continent connected to an AWSNA-certified school that will be populated by all high school students who want to come, regardless of income.
We have ten short months before we greet our first ninth graders, and a mountain of tasks ahead. We are blessed with a High School Planner to corral and coordinate all this work, a Faculty Working Group, a Board Committee, many Parent and Community Volunteers, a Mentor and the Support of the Local, Regional and National Waldorf Community, all working together to move us successfully toward our doors opening to a robust class of 9th graders, in the Autumn of 2014.
Can you help us financially fuel our work, to move us successfully to Opening Day?
Tamarack Waldorf High School
We believe students of today are longing to be involved in the hard questions that face the world around them and, in our unique location and ability to bring this education to the whole community, this will manifest at Tamarack Waldorf High School as a focus on Urban Sustainability.
Within the context of a classic and modern Waldorf High School curriculum -- rigorously academic, artistically creative and socially relevant -- our students will engage in weekly service learning projects, alongside the arts, music, eurythmy, movement and all of the other wonderful aspects of the complete Waldorf Education.
Guided by expert faculty in all disciplines, this socially healthy education will provide a jumping-off point for so many young people in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas.
We will be making such an education accessible through participation in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program (a voucher program). Private pays seats will also be aplenty.
Our highly successful "mother" school, Tamarack Waldorf School -- among the four largest Waldorf elementary schools on the continent -- has a roughly 70% "Choice" population. Thus, building a high school and providing TWS students (and the whole community) with the opportunity of a Waldorf High School education is highly desirable, yet hard to fully fund from the lower school's restricted finances.
Tamarack Waldorf High School will also have a 70% "Choice" population. It will make our population highly diverse and our work extremely interesting -- but it also makes our resources extremely limited.
Any and all financial help you can provide to fund our work will help us immeasurably in professionally and punctually meeting our pedagogical goals.
How Much Fuel We Need
Our budget for our preparatory year includes enough cash in the bank to open on Day One. To get us there we will need funds for everything from admissions packets to chalkboards, desks and chairs to a chemistry lab, build-out costs for our new space, travel costs for faculty candidates and our mentor, and much more.
It this campaign could raise $25,000, we would be well on our way.
What Is Being Fueled: The Day-to-Day Work
Your donation will also help to underwrite the day-to-day work being taken up by our High School Working Group and Board Committee, spearheaded by our High School Planner. That work includes, but is not limited to:
- Admissions processes: meeting the students, populating the classrooms
- Personnel processes: finding the perfect faculty to guide the new high school.
- Integrating with the Tamarack Waldorf School faculty: merging systems, devising new ones appropriate to the High School, building a cohesive picture.
- Presentations and Outreach: speaking formally with community groups, parents and student interested in the new Waldorf High School.
- Site search: identifying, assessing, solidifying and preparing the physical space for our new High School -- whether for just one year, or for the long-term.
- Choice and Governmental Interface: applying appropriate guidelines to the High School, related to the Choice rules, while at the same time promoting the Waldorf High School within the world of School Choice Wisconsin.
- Committee Oversight: coordinating the efforts of the site search, fundraising, marketing, personnel, admissions, and administrative committees moving forward.
- AWSNA Contact: corraling proper information and working with the Tamarack Waldorf School faculty to prepare documents and presentations for approval.
- Fundraising: pursuing grants from major donors, gathering together "friends of Tamarack Waldorf High School," keeping the financial needs of the school healthy!
Other Ways You Can Help
Not everyone has cash. Some people have time. Others have wisdom. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com, or visit our website at http://www.tamarackwaldorf.org/education/tamarack-waldorf-high-school/ and get in touch with us via our comments page. You may have expertise we could put to good use!