On March 15th, 2013, we'll be running the Tel Aviv Marathon - taking strides to make strides!
Who Are We?
We are a diverse group of Americans and Israelis running together because we share a vision of diversity, tolerance and equality in Israel. Our core team consists of participants, alumni and staff of Yahel – Israel Service Learning and staff and community members connected to Friends by Nature.
Yahel – Israel Service Learning and Friends by Nature are two Israeli nonprofit organizations that have been working together closely for the past three years, strengthening communities and creating change. We work together in Gedera, Rishon LeZion and Yavneh to provide support for local community members through youth programs, English teaching, homework tutoring, community gardening, and a variety of other programs.
Learn more about the work of Friends By Nature Here.
Learn more about the work of Yahel Here.
What Does Friends by Nature Do?
Friends by Nature – Community Empowerment runs programs mainly for at-risk Ethiopian Israeli youth, providing them and their families with a sense of belonging and purpose, with their eyes to the future. The organization seeks to build and empower communities which operate a variety of programs and make them sustainable. The founders of “Friends by Nature” represent a diverse mix of Ethiopian-Israelis and veteran Israelis, religious and secular, all sharing in the understanding that the success of immigrant communities within Israel is dependent on a strong sense of identity, the family unit, and appreciation for their unique cultural background.
What Does Yahel Do?
Yahel is an educational organization that offers service learning programs in Israel. Passionate about getting people to work side-by-side in order to bring about personal and social change, Yahel programs range from 10-days to 9-months and are tailored for non-Israeli groups who seek to experience Israel beyond the tour bus and make a real contribution to Israeli society. Yahel’s goal is to offer high-quality immersion programs that are community based and unique in their depth and sustainability.
Why Are We Running?
We are running together to raise awareness and promote our shared vision for a more tolerant society. Friends by Nature and Yahel believe that through education and collaboration, we can build a more accepting and multicultural Israel. We believe that the success of immigrant communities within Israel is dependent on a strong sense of identity, the family unit, and appreciation for unique cultural backgrounds. We believe it is imperative to integrate non-Israeli Jews into the efforts to create a more just society.
As we train together over the next several months, our bonds will strengthen along with our muscles. The ties between us will be enhanced by the shared challenge.
Why We Need Your Help!
Your contribution will allow these organizations to:
- Support programs in community centers, community gardens and homework tutoring programs in marginalized communities.
- Bring talented, educated volunteers to live, learn and work in Ethiopian-Israeli communities in Israel - teaching English, tutoring students, learning about social change and volunteering throughout the community.
- Support the full integration of immigrants into Israeli society, respecting cultural diversity and recognizing the contributions they bring to the country.
- Help youth at risk find their place in Israeli society, as contributing members to their community.
- Strengthen the love for the land of Israel and its environment felt by volunteers and community members.
- Expand our programming to other marginalized communities in Israel.
Leveraging Your Gift:
Every dollar or shekel you give will be matched 1:1 by a generous gift from ROI Community - up to $5,000!
How Else Can You Help?
- Spread the word about our Run! Share this page on Facebook, Twitter and Google +
- Come out on the day of the Run (March 15th) and cheer us on!
- Follow us on Facebook:
We are grateful for the Friends of Ethiopian Jews for helping make this campaign possible!