We're Suspension of Disbelief, a group of crafty folk, from
all over the world. Some of us are Burning man attendees, some not - and our
numbers are growing everyday! We all love art and crafts that engage community
and interaction and we’re ready to share our own. We’re building a larger than
life, hand crocheted, playground for all ages. But we need your help.
We need to raise $6500 to cover the cost of supplies, such as rope
(oh so much rope!) or we won’t be able to get this baby off the ground. So
we're turning to our strongest supporters to ask for contributions. In
exchange, we're offering handmade crochet pendants, Suspension of Disbelief
patches and other unique and original thank you gifts.Your contribution will
help us raise this giant net-like playground for all to play on and, further, it
will help us share this wonderful experience with as many people as possible. Thanks!
We hope this project will spark something in folks who've never considered themselves "artists" to see the creative process in a whole new way and perhaps encourage them to participate in this or some other community art project. We'll be installing "Suspension of Disbelief" at Burning Man 2014 and other smaller events around the Pacific Northwest. We do not plan to burn it, so we can share it with more people at more venues!
What you get
$100 Level: A piece of Suspension of Disbelief for your very own.
These beautiful pieces average 4 to 6 feet across and make beautiful wall hangings or lovely throw rugs. Once back from the playa, we’ll hand select panels from the structure itself and deliver it to you, complete with playa-dust and love.
$75 Level: Sodder Package
Patch, Sticker, pendant, lighter/chapstick coozie AND water bottle holder.
Wrist Wallet - one of a kind design of finger-less gauntlets with a small pocket for your essentials.
| $40 Level:
Water bottle holder. Flexible to hold various sizes of bottles with an over the shoulder strap for hands free hydration.
Unique pendant necklace. Each one crochet by one of our happy hookers and no two are alike.
SOD Patch - Show your support by sporting this lovely patch.
| $20 Level:
Lighter or Lip Balm koozie. Makes carrying these items much easier - and harder to loose.
A shout out and SOD sticker. We appreciate your support and will shout it from the mountain tops.
What We Need Now
- We need rope. Yup. A whole lot of rope. Somewhere around 48,000 feet of rope before this whole thing is done! Your contribution will help us keep the rope coming as more and more people get involved and start stitching. It's important that we keep up the enthusiasm and keep everybody stitching to pull this thing off!
- Lighting: There are some very exciting ideas about lighting in the works - a motion triggered, color changing effect. This will "up" the interactive aspect as people who are playing on SOD discover that they can synchronize their movements to create waves of colored light.
Down the road, we'll start raising funds for the structure to which we'll stitch all these lovely pieces, and for the transportation needed to get it to the Playa. For now though - we really need rope!
We're all SO excited!!!
Here's what we've already accomplished:
- Established a weekly get together to teach new people how to crochet, share ideas and enthusiasm, socialize and build community (the group is growing daily)
- Set up a website (including tutorials) and a Facebook group so everyone can see what we're doing or jump in anytime
- Built a small version of SOD at SeaCompression 2013 - a Seattle area decompression party. It was a huge hit and many, many people got the chance to climb, sit, swing and touch what we've created. It generated a lot of interest and support!
Where we're goin'
We're shooting to install a very large version of Suspension of Disbelief at Burning Man 2014. Here's our rough idea of how it will be suspended:
Other Ways You Can Help
There are many ways to help:
- Share this campaign with everyone one you know - the more the merrier!
(Be sure to use the Indiegogo share tools)
- Pick up a crochet hook (or just your fingers), some 1/4" white nylon rope and and start stitching. We'll need a LOT of circles!
- Stay tuned for more ways to help...