Helping Rare Hawaiian False Killer Whales -- The Big Idea
Join us in making a real difference! We are a group of middle school students and educators who work throughout the school year on environmental stewardship projects. We partner with scientists in our community and beyond, and we make a change in our world. One of our projects is to raise public awareness of a little known species whose future is tipping in the balance.
The rare Hawaiian False Killer Whale population is in steep decline, but if we do something now, we can make a real, immediate difference. Help save a unique ocean creature who:
- actually circles up and passes a fish around for each pod member to take a bite
- routinely tosses fish ONTO fishing boats in a generous habit of sharing
- lives only in the waters around the Hawaiian Islands, unlike their pelagic cousins
- is perilously close to extinction
What We Need & What You Get
Your donations and attention will support the following:
- Junior Ocean Scientists (a group of middle school students in Hawaii) spread the word to all ages and initiate prompt action
- funding goes to sending two Junior Ocean Scientist representatives and their teacher to the State Capital to meet with elected officials in designating the Hawaiian False Killer Whale as Hawaii's state whale
- additional funding also supports community events (such as Science Cafes, presentations, and middle school dances) that inform people about this unique species and gather support for legal protection
- our work builds community and fosters a positive, can-do attitude towards making a difference in our world
We offer our generous supporters the option of being listed and highlighted on our website, http://huimalama.weebly.com/. Become part of our circle of energetic, enthusiastic, all-walks-of-life, networking, whale huggers!!
Raising awareness of Hawaiian False Killer Whales and their situation will:
- activate the switch from old-style fish hooks to circle hooks faster
- jump start the process of designating the Hawaiian False Killer Whale as Hawaii's state whale
- directly connect students with elected officials (hard to say no to our passionate youth!)
- push measureable, effective measures through the legal process faster
- activate more people in protecting our environment
- educate our youth in environmental stewardship, community activism, and personal responsibility
Our students have already:
- organized and run Science Cafes for the community
- designed and run False Killer Whale dances at our school
- worked hard at grass-roots fundraising in our economically challenged rural community -- countless bake sales, car washes, school stores, etc. They put in the hours and the heart to make a change for our ocean friends!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you find you aren't able to make a monetary contribution, please consider:
- get the word out about the Hawaiian False Killer Whale through your favorite social media; feel free to send your friends to our website, http://huimalama.weebly.com/
- signing our petition for designating the Hawaiian False Killer Whale as Hawaii's state whale
- contact us through our website with your own idea of ways you can help :)
- use the Indiegogo share tools!