We did it - come see what happened next!
January 17 Update: 60 Hours to Go!
What Makes Us Unique
- We focus on social enterprises and organizations, as opposed to other "social good fund-raising" sites where people raise money for things like running a marathon for charity. Though those sites are great too, we are looking to help launch the type of organizations that will create long-term, meaningful change in the world.
- We have created a hybrid crowdfunding model unique to the needs of a social enterprise. Social entrepreneurs select a "tipping point" -- the amount of money that is necessary to start doing good -- and fund-raising up until this point is done in an all-or-nothing way. Supporters pledge funds, but are only charged if a venture reaches its tipping point goal by its deadline. Beyond the tipping point, though, we allow the venture to raise additional funds -- limited only by the same time deadline -- and keep all funds raised beyond the tipping point. This empowers social entrepreneurs to tap into the power of the crowd to launch their venture as well as to begin creating real change in the world.
- We provide a platform for launching brand new social enterprises, unlike other sites that focus on fund-raising for already-established organizations.
- In addition to launching a social enterprise on our site, we support the ongoing launch of projects and new endeavors by a social enterprise using the same hybrid, tipping-point crowdfunding model. We give social enterprises a dynamic home for launching their crowd-powered projects both at the start and into the future.
- We recognize that starting a social enterprise takes more than just money; it takes people! We connect social entrepreneurs with people from around the world who want to use their talents for good. Are you a social enterprise looking for an hour or two of pro-bono legal help? Maybe you're a graphic designer looking to use your Photoshop skills for good. We connect do-gooders with social enterprises that need help getting launched, creating exciting opportunities to contribute.
By focusing on the combination of these things, we make StartSomeGood stand out from the pack, and well-positioned to be a force in driving meaningful change in the world through social enterprise.
Social entrepreneurship is a movement that is growing rapidly in popularity and awareness, yet according to Change.org, 72% of social entrepreneurs say that access to capital is their greatest challenge. Though funds exist for organizations that are already off the ground, so many brilliant, game-changing ideas never come to life because of the hurdles that exist for starting a social enterprise. StartSomeGood seeks to simplify things, based on the premise that we want more people to do more good in the world. We lower the barriers to entry of starting a social enterprise, and connect social entrepreneurs with the people, passion, ideas and support they need to do great things in the world.
What We Need & What You Get
We've got a great team, ambitious plans and a ton of energy, but your support will allow us to get the word out and conduct innovative and exciting outreach strategies. Your financial support will be used to found our StartSomeGood Ambassadors program which recruits people passionate about social enterprise and allows them to leverage our platform to reach out to their networks to help people start their own ventures. Your support will be especially key in our outreach to University students where we seek to get ambassadors from leading colleges to help grow the social entrepreneurship movement via StartSomeGood on campuses nation-wide. Additional funds will be used for smart and targeted advertising campaigns, including Google Adwords and Facebook ads. Your support will bring the results of our countless hours of outreach and marketing brainstorming to life!
Your donation today has the ability to start good in more ways than one. In addition to recognition on our site as an early supporter, you'll also get a gift certificate to use on our site! Once StartSomeGood is launched, you'll be able to use your gift credits to find the venture that speaks to you and give them a boost just like you did with us. You'll help get our site off the ground today so that we can help others start good. Then, once our site is launched and filled with lots of ventures for improving the world, you'll be able to reinvest part of your initial donation via a gift certificate to help others do good as well. Your support today is an investment not only in us, but also in other great social enterprises that will launch on our site. StartSomeGood by paying it forward!
Other Ways You Can Help
We are a social enterprise ourself, and we wouldn't be where we are today without the incredible support from our family and friends who have provided us with ideas, support, legal advice and more. Are you as excited about StartSomeGood as we are? We'd love to hear from you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the roles we have for people that want to be a part of our mission, or tell us what YOU do best.